| Chapter Three |

Flashback

It was an ordinary night in Acirema, the streets quiet, the moon hidden behind the clouds. The curfew had been an hour earlier, so no one even dared to peek out their window when they heard a scream into the night.

Near the edge of the Vast City, a house was alight with fire. Inside was a mother with her child, who was only nine years old. The little girl clung to her mother, refusing to let go, even as the flames started to close in on them.

"Farrah, dear," the mother look straight into her daughter's eyes, pleading with her, "You need to do just as I say, all right? Go find your father. And when you do, tell him to look underground and never return here."

The small child whimpered. "But what about you, mommy? Will you come with me?"

Desla Eves only smiled, desperately trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall, praying to whatever god there may be that her daughter would be safe.

"Go, Farrah," the heartbroken mother's voice cracked, "Go, and remember I love you. I'm always with you, okay?"

Tears streaming down her face, the little girl escaped the flaming house with her mother's help, unnoticed by the guards who were guarding the building to make sure no one escaped alive.

The girl was quickly met by another child, who was the age of twelve, beckoning to her. She shook her head and told them, "I have to go find my daddy."

The young stranger replied, "I know where he is, just follow me."

Hesitantly, realizing that she had no idea where to go in the first place, she decided to follow the strange little boy. They weaved their way through the city until they came out into the open country that surrounded the Vast City, barren, dry, and cold. It was as if the cold had frozen the heat during the Destruction, leaving the country a wasteland desert.

Taking her by the hand, the boy guided her to a large gorge. The girl peered over the edge and saw a man pulling himself out by a rope. This man, she realized, was her father.

"Daddy!" the girl cried out, reaching towards him. He pulled himself over the edge, holding his daughter close, while looking at the boy standing apart. He told him, "He'll be back in five days."

Five days.

Now turning his attention back to the little girl, the man said, "What are you doing here?"

Suddenly remembering her task, the girl replied, "Mommy said to look underground and never go back home. Why, daddy?"

The man took a deep breath and squeezed his daughter in a hug, holding back his own emotion that threatened to spill over. "We need to go, Farrah."

"But why, daddy?"

Ignoring his daughter's plea, he turned his attention to the boy. "Will you be able to get home by yourself?"

The young boy nodded. "Yes, Mr. Eves. Will you tell me when he gets back?"

Alton Eves gave a slight smile and quick nod. "Of course."

Five days later, the child's father didn't return. Nor five days after that. Or ever. The boy was now an orphan by the name of Maxwell Atticus, son of Mark and Jaelle Atticus.