| Chapter Five |

The moon cast a dim light into the darkness, sending a shadow behind the Seeker as they jumped from rooftop to rooftop. It was completely still and silent except for the brisk sound of their landing on roof after roof.

They had a new mission ever since the King's spy, Maxwell Atticus, was given charge to find the ancient artifact. They needed to gather all the facts, and find all the information they could get.

"You!"

The Seeker didn't look back at the yelling voice; instead, they ran faster, determination surging through their veins. The soldier wasn't far behind, but the agile Seeker was faster.

With one giant leap, they made the landing across a six-foot gap between the High Society's homes, ignoring the shooting pain it caused when they landed harshly onto the stone roof. They ran until they made it to the outskirts of the city.

The Seeker was safe. Now, it was time for the search to begin.

_____

The day after meeting Farrah, Maxwell made his way bright and early to Farrah's "secret" room. He tried to keep out of sight of the Archers that patrolled to outskirts of the city, making sure they couldn't see where he was heading.

By the time he got there, Farrah was already waiting downstairs.

"Hi," Maxwell greeted, slipping into a seat across from her. She looked up and glanced at him before looking back down at the paper she was holding.

"Here," she said, pushing the paper towards me, "Read this. I think it has some helpful clues."

Maxwell grabbed the sheet and started reading it.

The book spoke of a world that had no pain, no disease, no corruption. I want to find this world, and I know that this book has the answers I need. If only I could tell the City that there's hope...

"What?" Maxwell thought aloud.

"It's impossible," Farrah announced, "This is life. All we know is poverty and disease because of the despicable kingdom."

"But, Farrah," Maxwell protested, "What if it's true? Your father spent so much time and dedication. I doubt it was all for a fairy tale, don't you?"

Farrah sighed and slouched in her seat. "I don't know anymore." 

The two sat in silence, pondering the corruption and the hope this book seemed to offer. They didn't have the book; all they had were the words of Alton Eves on sheets of scattered paper in a dark, isolated room.

Suddenly breaking the silence, Maxwell determined, "We have to do something."

"The book is gone for all we know, Max--"

"No," he shook his head, "We have to do something."

Farrah frowned, sitting up in her chair. "I don't like what you're implying here. Do what? Start a revolution? If you're thinking what I think you are, you're nuts, Max. Especially with the position you hold. Don't you know what--"

"I know," Maxwell interrupted her, "But it's possible. It's a risk, but maybe this is the hope the book is talking about. Maybe we have to make this world. And we can't do it if we just sit around, thinking about how bad our life is, can we?"

Farrah seemed to ponder my idea. "Nobody has attempted it before."

"Because they didn't know they could."

"Or because they didn't have the means to do it."

"But," Maxwell pointed out, "We do. We have all that your father has written. All we need to do is gather the right people, the right information, and search for the book."

"The King already has people searching for it. We're never going to find it before them."

Maxwell grinned. "Person, not people. And that person is me. I've already been commissioned to find it at all costs, so really, I don't have a choice either way."

"True," Farrah's smile grew, "Does this mean we're...we're going to overthrow the Crown?"

Maxwell nodded.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Farrah grinned, "Let's get to it! I know some people who would join us. I'll go out and tell them--"

"Wait," he stopped Farrah before she could race out the door, "We need a plan first. We can't just get a bunch of people together in a group--that will be suspicious. And we need to know exactly who we can trust."

Farrah sighed, but relented and sat back in her seat. "Well then, what's the plan?"

Maxwell pulled out his journal from his satchel and tore out a piece of paper, scribbled with notes. He placed it on the table and slid it over to her.

"Read it."

As Farrah read the paper, it was as if he could see the wheels in her brain turning. Her expression turned to a frown as she reached the ending, slowly setting down the sheet in front of her.

"All right," Farrah said slowly, "So there's a ball happening soon. What does this have to do with us?"

Maxwell bit his lip and stood up, pacing the room back and forth. If Farrah refused his proposal, he didn't have a plan B. This was it.

"Spit it out," Farrah rolled her eyes.

"Okay," Maxwell began hesitantly, "Well, the ball is in a week."

"Obviously," Farrah mumbled.

He ignored her and continued, "And at this ball, the Prince chooses a wife."

"I don't like where this is going at all."

"Here's my plan: I will get you into the palace through engagement to the prince. That way, you can essentially infiltrate the Kingdom, and gather all the information we will need. The engagement lasts three months, then the wedding. So we will have exactly three months to get you in and execute the revolt. Once you're in, we'll go from there," Maxwell finished.

Farrah sat in silence, staring at the paper in front of her. She made no indication of supporting or refusing for the longest time, which made Maxwell pace all the more. 

From what he has observed during his time in the palace, the prince was quite neutral. He never sided with anyone during the War, though naturally everyone assumed him to be on his Kingdom's side--who wouldn't? And from the minimal times Maxwell had spoken to him, he gave the impression of being intellectually independent, not relying on anyone else's belief systems to form his worldview. Because of that, he felt that he might--just might--be reasoned to support the citizens of his country.

"I'll do it."

Farrah's voice broke his train of thought as she stood from her seat, clutching the paper tightly in her hand. Maxwell cracked a grin.

"Perfect. Now all we have to do is prepare for the ball."