Chapter Seventeen

Cordelia stood in the corner of the ballroom, watching from afar as Alastair spoke to their father. Their father was feeling much better now and had even been able to attend the ball. Although, Alastair had come seeking her out earlier and had told her that their father was indeed drinking again. Her brother's words had filled her with anxiety and she felt a sense of anger directed at her father. When would he learn that he was only slowly killing himself? Cordelia understood that it was an addiction her father held, but she felt that he needed to take some sort of responsibility for it.

Cordelia watched as Alastair gave their father a tense glare as he spoke and she sighed to herself. She was not sure what they were speaking about and she did not wish to know. Alastair had told her that things at Kensington Gardens were very tense and he and their father did not speak. Their mother had tried her very hardest to bring everyone together but it had not worked. It made Cordelia feel thankful that she now lived at the Institute.

"Is your brother alright?" A voice spoke from beside Cordelia.

She jumped in surprise and looked beside her to see Thomas Lightwood. He was looking over at Alastair with a bit of concern on his face.

"Oh yes, he is alright." Cordelia felt surprised by the question. "He and my father are getting into a bit of a debate, I suppose."

Cordelia watched as Alastair stormed away from their father and sighed in defeat. She did not know if they would ever mend their relationship although she desperately wished they would.

"He looks very distraught." Thomas observed.

Cordelia turned to him, biting her lip in worry. "Will you go after him for me, Thomas? I am afraid that he will not open up to me if I do as I am his little sister. He may appreciate it if you do."

"Oh, I do not know, Cordelia." A small blush rose to Thomas' cheeks. "I do not think Alastair would appreciate me going after him."

"He would." Cordelia assured him. "I know that Alastair secretly admires you, even though he may not show it."

Thomas looked surprised but nodded his head and then left. Cordelia knew that Alastair and Thomas were acquaintances so it would not be strange if Thomas went after him. Cordelia stood by herself then and listened as slower song began to play. Couples began to dance and then suddenly James was standing in front of Cordelia. He looked absolutely breathtaking tonight and Cordelia could not help but blush at the sight of him.

"Would you care to dance with me, Daisy?" James gave her a small grin.

She decided to tease him. "Do I have much of a choice?"

"As my wife, I do not believe that you do." James grinned widely now.

He held out his hand and Cordelia laughed and took it. James lead her to the dance floor and they began to dance. Cordelia could not count how many times she had danced with James, but it felt like she was floating on air every time she did it. Her body felt warm pressed against his but Cordelia was now used to the feeling. She had a hard time believing that this was the boy she shared a bed with every night. James was so beautiful and Cordelia was just average. There was nothing quite special about her.

"I must say, Daisy, that you look very pretty tonight." James smiled down at her.

Cordelia could not help the blush that rose to her cheeks. "You are required to say that because I am your wife."

He chuckled. "Maybe, but I really do think that you look pretty tonight."

"You flatter me too much, Jamie." Cordelia smiled up at him. "You are not so bad yourself; I caught Catherine Townsend staring at you from across the room earlier."