part three

"the storms coming in what? four or five days now?" pope said as we were sprawled out on his dock.

"sometime in the next week i think," ki responded.

"how fuckin ironic that the summer kicks off with yet another hurricane?" i say and i chuck beers at both ki and pope.

pope shot me a glance as ki sighed.

"let's finish these and then go for a surf," ki said holding up her beer.

"sounds good," pope agreed.

"to summer," i said, holding up my beer as a toast.

"to summer," they both responded and we chugged.

we found ourselves in the ocean not only 20 minutes later, paddling out against the current.

a few waves in and pope had already wiped out at least five times.

"guys i swear it's the current," pope whined after we had fallen off his board once again and kia and i bursted into laughter.

"for once he's not just using that as an excuse," ki tried to reason.

"you can definitely tell there's a storm coming," i agreed with her.

"shit what time is it jj," kiara asked suddenly.

"uhh i dunno, we left a little after noon i think,"i mumbled as i struggled to paddle through the next wave.

"fuck fuck fuck i have a shift at 2 and if i go all wet and smelling like the salt water i'll literally have my head on a platter," kia rambled as she began to paddle towards land.

"come by for dinner and i'll get you food!" she shouted before catching a wave in.

"fuck yeah man," i said, high fiving pope who was straddling his board. the force of the high five knocked him over though and i bursted out into another laughing fit.

"i hate you," he grunted before getting back on.

-

it was a few hours later when we arrived to the restaurant. it was pretty busy so it was easy for kiara to seat us in the back and sneak us food while she waited on her other tables.

"hey isn't that the new kook," pope mumbled as i was stuffing my face with fries.

i looked up to see the brunette i'd met only a few days ago sitting by herself at the counter. she had her elbows on the table and was resting her head on her hands. funny how i didn't know her name yet, but i guess i didn't desire to know it either.

kiara came over and sat down but we hadn't noticed because we'd been staring at the girl.

"new girl huh?" she spoke, shaking us out of our trance.

"a kook," i groaned. i've said kook more times in the past 48 hours then i have in the past 6 months.

"hey i'm a kook," kiara nudged nudged me with her elbow.

"no you're not ki," pope reasoned.

"you don't act like one," i agreed.

"so then how do you know if that new girl acts like one or not," kiara protested.

i glanced over to the brunette again.

"for exactly that reason," i nodded towards her just as topper and kelce sat down on either side of her.

they were both smirking at her hungrily like the disgusting pigs they are. i hated them with every ounce in my body after the events last summer.

i haven't had a fight since then because we've been on probation for so long and my blood just boiled even at the sight of them.

i watched the brunette carefully as she talked, i could see her eyes light up and the corners of her mouth turn upward. she also used hand motions and i could tell she was telling some sort of story.

topper was laughing, a very fake laugh might i add, and put an arm on the back of her chair.

she didn't notice as far as i could tell because she was too into telling her story and laughing as well.

"gonna stop staring lover boy?" pope said as he mockingly caressed my cheek with his hand.

i slapped his hand away and huffed, "i wasn't staring."

"mhm," kiara giggled and went back to wait on another table while pope and i sat and ate more food.

"you gonna swoop on that or what?" pope whispered.

"on a kook? pope do you even know me," i scoffed, pressing a hand to my chest pretending to me offended. he just laughed and rolled his eyes.

we waited in the wreck until kiara was done her shift and by then it was dark out.

"first keg of the summer tomorrow i heard," kiara said.

"oh yeah?" i always looked forward to the kegs. after a year of nothing but trouble, crime, and legal stuff, a keg felt like the perfect way to finally feel like a normal teenager again.