CHAPTER SIX

-AMIKO'S POV-

I sat behind the counter as I just let myself day dream since no customers was in yet. Nia wasn't here right now because she said she had to handle something for her mom but she said she'll be by before my break and that started in a hour.

Lately, I've just been thinking about me and Benji's nice conversation we had even though it only lasted for like 5 minutes and it was 3 days ago.

I was happy and surprised that he was talking to a girl like me. I mean, I wasn't like one of the girls he usually talks too. The strippers, the girls that have money or the hoes that give theirselves up easily.

I was the quiet, shy, innocent girl. Oh and them bad girls he likes. I wasn't like them so I didn't think I'll have a chance. As I thought of us in the future, I quickly wiped the thoughts away.

I kept thinking he was using me just to get in between my legs and I didn't want that. I didn't do those one night stands. Those weren't for me.

"What you thinking about child?" He asked and I jumped as I turned around before looking at Mack. I covered my chest with my hand before chuckling.

"Nothing. Just went to LaLa Land." I said with a smile and he shook his head with a small smirk.

"How's nana?" He asked.

"She's doing good. She's holding on and I'm gonna make sure she holds on for a long time." I said with a guaranteed smile.

He nodded before he cut the fryers on and poured fresh oil inside.

I heard the bells causing me to turn around. I looked at the line of customers before sighing and getting to work.

I sometimes had fun at Mack's. It only depended if I wasn't in the mood but I hardly been out of character. Mack is a family friend and I've known him all my life. I know he'll do anything for me and Nia.

After I took everybody's order, I looked at the time before seeing that it was now time for my break. Since it was an hour long break, I decided to go to subway and then the ice cream shop down the street. They were right beside each other.

Walking to my locker, I grabbed my bag before putting it over my shoulder and I grabbed my phone before waving bye to Mack. I sent Nia a quick text that I was on break and I walked out the door but I bumped into someone.

"Oh I'm so sorry." I said as I picked my phone up that fell onto the floor when I bumped into the someone.

Looking up, I was met with Benji. I nervously put my hair behind my ear.

"I'm sorry." I said palming my face with embarrassment and he laughed.

"You straight ma." He spoke and I put on a small smile.

"Well I'm on break so I'll be on my way." I spoke as I walked around him out the door. As I was walking, he stopped me by grabbing my arm.

"Where you going?" He asked and i sucked my teeth before giving him a side eye.

"Subway then the Ice Cream Shop." I said and he nodded.

"Well I was actually coming to see you so we can go together." He suggested and I hesitated before nodding.

"That's fine with me." I said and he nodded before we walked down the street to SubWay.

-BENJI'S POV-

"No, take my money." Amiko said as we argued over who was paying for her food. I was laughing the whole time about how independent she was.

"Come on. It's fine I'll pay for it." I said and she glared at me before laughing and putting her money back up before crossing her arms.

They girl handed Amiko her sandwich, chips and drink before we walked to a booth.

I slid in on one side and she slid in on another.

"I been tryna find you." I said and she raised a brow.

"Why?" She asked with a stank face and I chuckled.

"Cause I been tryna talk to you. I mean, our conversation got interrupted." I said and she turned her lips up.

"Nah." She said as she sipped from her drink. "Who was that anyway?" She questioned and I chuckled thinking about Jayla ignorant ass.

We haven't talked since it all went down and honestly, I didn't care but at the same time I did. I was just tryna help her.

"My lil sister." I said and she smiled but it went away.

"You have a sister?" She asked and I nodded as I rested my head in my hands.

"Yeah I got more brothers and sisters that stay with me." I said and she nodded.

"So why did you jack her up like that? Especially in front of all those people..." she said and i shook my head.

"She don't listen. When you tell her something, it goes in one ear and out the other." I spoke and she nodded.

"Has she talked to you since then?" She asked and i shook my head before shrugging.

"Nah. We had some words for each other." I said and she gave me a side eye before laughing.

"I didn't think so." She giggled and I chuckled lowly before shaking my head. I got a phone call from Riley and I looked at Amiko and she shooed me away playfully for me to answer the call.

Walking out, I stood outside the window as I watched Amiko. She nervously smiled at me and i laughed lowly before turning around.

"Wassup Ry?" I said into the phone.

"Me and Jayla in trouble. We getting suspended for fighting." Riley said and I palmed my face before blowing out a loud breath.

"Man Ight. I'm in my way." I said before hanging up. I don't know why, but something was telling me this was all Jayla's doing.

Waking back inside Subway, I guess Amiko saw my face and grew concerned. She actually looked like she cares for me but I knew that wasn't the case.

"I gotta go. Some stuff happened at school with my sisters." I told her and she nodded before grabbing her trash and throwing it away.

"I'm sorry we ain't get to talk longer." I said and she tucked her hair behind her ear.

"It's okay. That's your family." She spoke and I nodded.

I decided to get her number so we could talk later on. Every time we have conversations, they don't be to long because something always comes up.

"Can I get your number?" I asked and she smiled before nodding her head. She handed me her IPhone 6s before I punched my number in and she did the same in my phone.

"If I text you, it's gonna be later on." I said and she nodded.

"Okay go now." She said and I chuckled before handing her a 20 dollar bill. She raised a brow in confusion.

"This the money for your ice cream. I was planning on paying for it." I said walking out quickly since I knew she would try and give it back. I speed walked down the street as I heard her call after me but I didn't turn around. I got in my truck and pulled off to the school.