Chapter 2: Sushi

(A/N): I'm going to be doing something different than usual for the text message formatting. 'Uknown' will be on the left side with italics, and You will be on the right in bold :)

You're at your stop, sleepyhead.

You stare down at your phone, at the text message that had popped up on your screen. You flick your eyes up to the contact name only to be greeted by an unknown number. You knit your brows, peeling your eyes from your screen and standing from your seat. Eleanor was the only one who knew what stop you got off at, and she didn't have a phone, plus that would be creepy. Eleanor clears her throat as you stand still, spaced out, your face heating as she's waiting for you to get off the bus. You hurry off, mumbling a quick 'sorry' as you wonder who the hell had texted you. The moment you set foot on the pavement outside, you stare back down at the new text.

Is this Alec?

Alec was an obvious first guess because of your history, not to mention you'd just gotten him suspended. Carter was also a possibility, but you doubted it was him, there was no way he'd know your number. Alec would only know it from Emily, the school gossip-sponge. She knew everything about everyone, other than your Woodsboro murders obsession until today. You turn on your ringer, slipping your phone into your pocket as you await an answer back from this unknown number. You don't actually get one until your set foot on your front porch. The moment you do just that, it pings, and you're ripping it from your pocket at lightspeed.

Couldn't message you while you were walking. Not safe.

And no, this isn't Alec. Or Carter, or Emily or any of those others.

You knit your brows again as you unlock your door and push it open, closing it behind you- and locking it, suddenly nervous. You felt like you were being watched, and by god you hoped you weren't. You prayed that this was some sick prank or something of the sort.

Then who are you? Is this some shitty prank?

No, not a prank.

So, what's your favorite scary movie?

 You scowl at the question, setting your phone to silent and turning it off, tossing it on the couch, your stomach letting out a desperate rumble. You needed food, to eat the stress and frustration away. You could answer this creep later. You wander into the kitchen, digging through the cupboards for some sort of sustenance. It being a Thursday, you'd already eaten every damn thing in the house, preferring snacks over social interaction. Cupboard after cupboard, you still found nothing but a bag of corn chips reduced to stale crumbs. You needed to go shopping, but until then the chip crumbs would have to do. You open the top of the bag and funnel the crumbs into your mouth, coughing as you breathe a good portion of them in. You drop the bag, it spilling on the floor as you pound on the front of your chest with your fist, fighting to dislodge the chip-dust from your throat.

 "Jesus, fuck-" your phone pings, and you startle. You'd set it to silent, hadn't you? Still coughing, you stumble over the scattered crumbs on the floor and into the living room. With one last heavy fit of coughing you can breathe again, but as you take your phone your breath is stolen away once more, this time by fear.

Don't put me on silent.

You stare down at the phone for one minute, then two, then three before you finally snap out of your trance and run a hand through your hair, sitting on the sofa. You drop the phone at your side, cradling your face in your hands. Someone had turned your phone off silent. Someone was in the house. Or maybe this was just coincidence and you hadn't put your phone on silent. That's all this was, just you being paranoid. You take a deep breath and actually put your phone on silent, this time you're sure of it, standing and heading to the kitchen to clean up the spilled chips. You grab the broom from its place leaning up against the wall beside the back door, sweeping the chips into the dustpan in a minute or two. You dump them in the trash and head back to the living room. You hesitate a moment before you reach for your phone, clicking it on and staring at the text message you had gotten while away.