Chapter Two

We showed up at a Maddie's with a fresh coat of lip gloss and sunglasses on our face. Stepping out of the jeep, I took in my surroundings. Cars were packed into the driveway and lined the street on both sides. Emma was smart in these situations, parking on the end of the street for a clean and safe exit if it's needed. We had watched too many movies were the cops bust a party or someone gets drunk and dangerous and girls need a clean exit, so we prepared for the worst.

Walking down the street towards Maddie's house, I was glad that Emma had made me change. Casual really was subtle sexy. People were showing up in swimsuits and sun dresses and crop tops everywhere. Me in Emma fit right in then. I kept checking my phone to make sure I wasn't missing any texts from Cas, but he was still offline. With a sigh I continued to walk towards the house, my arm linked with Emma's.

"Is he texting you again?" She asked with a smirk playing on her lips.

"No, he's offline." I said, giving her a playful shove.

"Good! Cause tonight, Krissy my dear, we are going to find a distraction from our helpless crushes." She declared, quickening her pace. "Look how many hot guys showed up! There's gotta be at least one that can take our minds off Joseph and Caspian."

Good luck with that, I thought to myself. I had never had a crush before Caspian, and I didn't think I could gain strong feelings like that in one night. But I didn't want to bring Emma's hopes down.

We reached Maddie's house, people spilling out of every doorway with red solo cups in their hands and music blaring through the windows. Emma leaned into my ear, "Welcome to our first high school party!"

She seemed much more confident than I did about this whole situation. I took a deep breath and started to walk further inside, holding tightly to Emma's arm.

The inside of the house was packed with sweaty, tipsy teenagers. We managed to weave our way through people to find an open spot to stand. Eventually red cups made their way into our hands, which Emma happily took. I was not about to start drinking like everyone else, so Emma gulped mine down too. I'd never seen her like this before, stumbling and slurring her words. I knew she just wanted to have a good time and enjoy our first party of the summer, but I was getting concerned about her.

Emma wondered off after her third drink and I was too afraid to leave my spot and go and find her. Some party this was shaping up to be. I didn't see any familiar faces and there was nothing to do but stand by the wall, praying that'd I'd just maybe disappear.

I stood there for a while, listening to the trashy music that was blaring down the hall. Looking around, I realized that I had barely even made it into the house. I couldn't be this pathetic already, could I? I started to debate going further into the house or just waiting for Emma in the car. Someone else made up my mind for me, when I felt a hand grip my wrist and tug my further down the hall. My protests were swallowed by the cheers and loud music as I was pulled to the back of the house and through the back door. It was surprisingly quiet once we stepped through the door. I back porch was lit with small hanging lights that stood out against the dark sky. There was only two other people out there, both guys, standing around a cooler with beers in their hands. I looked up to see the face of the guy who was still holding my wrist in his hand. He was much taller than me, at least six-one, with dark, slightly curly hair that flopped over his forehead. His green eyes contrasted his tan skin well, I found myself starring for a few seconds too long. He lifted the hand he wasn't holding my wrist with and waved it in front of my face. "Hey, you good?"

His deep voice pulled me back to reality, I looked away embarrassed. His grip on my wrist finally loosened and I pulled my hand back to my side. "Who the heck are you?" I yelled at him. The two guys by the cooler started laughing and whispering to each other. I didn't take my eyes off the guy in front of me. A smile grew on his face and he stuck out his hand.