Cold Apartments memories

(CW/TW: Drugs and sad stuff)

(These ocs are from my other book Tridania but in a modern universe. I'd really appreciate it if you guys read it since I work really hard on it so yee yee)

Ryder sighed as she sat back on the ledge of the large, living room window, in her freezing cold apartment. Tim and Alex had wandered off to do whatever they had to do today, leaving her alone.

Ryder hummed as she looked around the slightly dusty apartment. Without the two boys here the apartment was quite serene. Quiet. Calm. Although those are usually good adjectives, the quiet part was throwing her off. Sometimes she appreciates the quiet, like when she's trying to sleep or she's focusing really hard on something But, in situations like this, where she's all alone and not doing anything, it leads to her just thinking. Thinking and thinking. Not even about anything good either, just thinking.

Currently, she was thinking back on her first two years here in this apartment. She was only 18, barely graduating from highschool then moving out to some place bigger. Somewhere she hoped to advance in life. She thought maybe she'd get a nice job, fancy house, and a partner to snog with on the couch in her free time or whatever it is normal, successful people do. Well, guess she seemed to forget that normal people usually go to college. But, she sadly never had the money for that so she basically said, "Forget it, we'll just take a swing at it and hope things work out." Obviously, that didn't happen. If it had she wouldn't be in an old apartment building without any heat due to lack of rent money.

Ryder was never really a negative person. She always tried to look on the bright side of things, even if they were followed by some sarcastic comments, the points were still positive. So, why was she here, hiding out in her apartment like a hermit? Well, that, my friends, is called depression caused by drug addiction. Pretty heavy topic. But, that was the truth.

During the first year of living in this apartment with her friends, she would go out often to try and make new friends or get a job. While out one night she met a group of guys and girls, not much older than her. They were the type of people Ryder got along with. They were fun, artistic, proud people. Similar to her friends. The only problem with them was their bad habits. This group was into drugs. Of course, drugs aren't good so in this moment you would think she would instantly step back when they offered her leftover narcotics or sedatives from any incidents they had that lead to them being prescribed these pills. Yet, Ryder, being the young, stupid girl she was, fell right into it with little hesitation. She trusted these guys. They were confident in what they did, they seemed to be the happiest people in this big city so Ryder trusted their judgement. It started off fine. It was fun learning about the effects they had, as well as dipping into some harder stuff that really made you feel like you were on top of the world. She never considered myself an addict until Tim confronted her about it. She never realized how bad it got until he had pointed out the small things. The silly highs then the hard crashes once it was over. The constant fidgeting as she waited to do it all again. She thought it was so fun and great until she had to force herself to stop. The withdrawal was the worst. Sometimes she can still see her cadaverous appearance from when she got addicted to more intense drugs when she would glance in the mirror.

She sighed as she rubbed her eyes, trying to shrug off the thoughts.

She glanced out the window at the sound of hollering and smiled slightly to see Alex, throwing himself onto Tim's back, causing him to curse him out in annoyance.

Even now that Ryder sometimes gets urges to do it again just to try and end this seemingly never ending depression, she forces herself to abstain from it for the sake of those two boys that were nice enough to let her stay with them and take care of her when she was suffering.

The thought made her smile.

As long as she had them around, she'd be fine.