Someone in the crowd

Once upon a time, when the rains were constant guests of the city, I visited Mumbai. I didn't even find a gram of peace in the city. The people were anxious and engaged about and over the daily chores. As I stepped out of the railway station, a tedious atmosphere surrounded me. Young people who have to attend the offices, parents who have to drop their children at schools and weary traffic policemen who have to control all these people made my morning view.

I checked into a hotel which I booked two weeks before. As soon as I entered my room, I noticed the droplets of rain dampening the balcony. I walked near the edge of the balcony, where I assured that I won't get wet as of rain, and watched the great city of business.

'Enormous.' I whispered to myself.

I was really in Mumbai to meet this person who could be interested to invest in our hotel. My sister and I run this four-star hotel in Goa and we were planning on developing it a bit. I met the guy in the grand hotel, as we'd pre-planned. At first, I thought it wouldn't work out, but it was successful. So, the first day was happily short. I was glad because I need not have to stay for another night. For a guy like me from Goa, it would be sophisticating to live in Mumbai.

The next day evening I have reached the Dadar station an hour before the arrival of the train. I was in a real hurry to reach home.

'Do the people here truly sleep?' I prompted the other night, watching the jam-packed roads.

The whole thing was fine until I found a girl. She was a few feet in front of me showing her platform ticket to the ticket collector.

My eyes were motionless for some beautiful seconds. I stared at her round blinking eyes and the talking curvy lips. Her rich smile and the short, thick hair almost arrested my gaze. I was still looking at her even when she was buying coffee and the magazine. In such a precipitated atmosphere, she seemed so calm and placid. There was a bag hanging loosely over her left shoulder.

I overjoyed when she walked towards me. I quickly took a whole glance at her before she passes over me and vanishes into the crowd. The white-checked, pink chiffon tunic and icy blue jeans were an additional charm for her appearance.

Astonishingly, she settled right next to me on the same lucky bench I was sitting on.

'Miracles do happen.' I supposed.

I retained my gaze away from her, pretending like I was unaware of her existence beside me. The free Wi-Fi service at the station didn't impress me anymore. She pulled a notebook and was writing something. I pulled out my phone and plugged in the earphones. Music wasn't pacifying enough. I couldn't get out of the series of thoughts about her.

'Should I start a conversation? Or is it better to remain calm?' my mind was pondering its possibilities.

'Hi,' I said, finally.

She passed a glance at me. Those few seconds look from her could almost turn an hour in my watch.

'Hello,' she replied and tucked her head into her book.

I expected neither a reply nor a reaction. I was grateful to God, even for this.

'Where are you headed?' I asked assuring that it appeared natural and indubitable.

'I am not going anywhere,' her reply stunned me. She didn't even turn her head from her magazine while answering.

It would be peculiarly insane hearing someone say that they weren't going anywhere but still sitting in a crowded railway station. Silence packed my words. I lost the zeal of knowing about the girl that doesn't want to answer.