𝙏𝙚𝙣

"Jake, it's one in the afternoon. I have plans tonight, I want to stay sober." I sighed. It was another failed attempt to reject the Alcohol, but Jake just gave me a friendly smile.

"It's one in the afternoon at a campfire party on a Saturday, Bella." Jake corrected as he pushed a beer van into my hands. My hands wrapped around the can, accepting it only to be polite. I knew that as soon as Jake turned his back I'd put it on the ground or bring it over to Charlie. "Lighten up, it'll be fun. I promise."

I knew this was all only Jake trying to be friendly, and he did truly want me to have a good time. Alcohol was just the only way Jake knew how to have a fun time. Besides, It is a campfire, after all. It's fair for him to want me to have fun.

Jake turned to Embry and Jared, and offered the two of them cans of their own. I took the opportunity to hide the can behind the Log I was sitting on, hoping it would be forgotten about.

Jacobs dad, Billy Black, had invited Charlie and I over for the campfire. He said that the ground was finally dry enough, and he wanted to two of us to officially celebrate Jake being home, despite the fact that we've seen them both together multiple times over the past three weeks.

"You've gotten uptight." Jake frowned as he took a seat next to me. I pulled a face at his complaint. He must have noticed the missing can. I felt, in an strange way, offended. Jake was usually very nice and had never said anything to upset me.

How could he say that I'm that one that's changed when he's the one that's moved back a disastrous teenager with an alcohol problem.

"Jake, are you serious?" I scoffed, trying to understand where he was coming from. Ever since the start of our friendship I'd hated alcohol, and I especially hated that Jake was just barely 17 and drinking was so normalized to him. Sure he was a teenager, but even back then I could see a dependency starting to form. Sure he was troubled, but I worried now that he was really going to derail his life.

"You're 18, and you've never had a drink." Jake said it as if I was the most boring person ever. I wonder what type of people he was used to hanging out with in Canada. "You need to have some fun."

"I do have fun." I argued. Jake just shook his head as if our definitions of fun were polar opposites. Fun is building bikes and exploring the woods together, not drinking so much you can't see straight.

"Not real fun." Jake sighed as he took another swig of beer. I was getting frustrated, and I was already uncomfortable with the amount of alcohol exposure I had for the day. Charlie has warned me that there'd be drinking, and said I was free to leave whenever I wanted. That's why I took my own truck.

I didn't bother to respond to Jake, instead I ran up to where Charlie was sitting. Our once similar definitions of fun had grown to be to different for us to find a middle ground. I'll talk to Jake later, but for now I've had enough campfire party for the day.

"Hey, I think I'm gonna head out. School work." I explained as I ran up to Charlie and Billy, who were both laughing over a fishing story with some of the other adults. The uncomfortable stench of alcohol seemed to be catching up to me now, and I wanted to get away from it as soon as possible.

"I'll see you at home later." Charlie nodded. I ignored Jake as I hopped in my truck, and sped off. It was rude not to say goodbye, but his attitude was something I didn't want to be exposed to right now.