The Chronicles of Starlyn: Chapter 5

A/N: Another 700 words from my word count, and yet I wrote a little in journal at work today for next chapter... and recorded an audio of the rest of the next chapter on voice recorder. So now just gotta listen / repeat type that all onto word, and upload it next. Should have my word count! Wish me luck <3

Vote & COmment <3

Chapter 5:

By Craig A. Price Jr.

                The trail into the northern forest was easy to follow. The creatures left a very distinct mess as they traveled. There appeared to be scattered footprints everywhere without a sense of order. The creatures seemed to not care or worry about anybody following them. With their numbers it wouldn’t seem they had a reason to hide themselves.

                There was still no trace of Arria, but that was to be expected if she was free. It seemed unlikely that they held her prisoner without any caravan trucks or drag marks. There didn’t even appear to be any prints from her. Either they were following the wrong host or she was being careful. The problem was if she was careful it was likely she was not a prisoner of any sort. There was a possibility that these creatures were careful with their prisoners, but it didn’t make sense when they were reckless in every other way. It would also be prudent of her to leave behind clues if she were a prisoner.

                Starlyn began to give up hope that her sister was innocent. She noticed the expression on Vil’ek’s face seem to mirror her own. He knew it too, but like her, he would not give up.

                When they took a break in the woods Starlyn sat on a fallen stump and stared at the sky. As she was wondering how her mother was doing she noticed a chill breeze, followed by the hoot of an owl. Looking up she noticed a lone black owl casting a shadow in front of her moon. She recognized it as it neared by Aliuqa’s friend.

                Starlyn smiled for news from her friend. She knew her mother wouldn’t be doing any better, but it would feel good just to know. The letter was in a black envelope with black wax in the shape of a raven to seal it. It seemed Aliuqa wanted to keep the message secret from wandering eyes in the dark.

                When she opened it she was astonished to find that the paper was black as well with white ink. The writing itself was fine craftsmanship and short. She read it aloud in a whisper that only she could hear.

“Mother’s health decreased.

Vomits once a day now.

Cramps and fever to name a few.

Find Arria soon.

Afraid there’s not much time.

It feels like something dark approaches.

Be on guard.”

                Starlyn trembled as she finished reading it before dropping the letter to the ground. Tears began to fill her eyes – making her vision blurry. Her mother was weak before, without enough energy to move from her bed anymore. Yet, now there was true sickness coming out. An elf vomiting was unheard of, not even poison would do such a thing. It seemed unnatural. She was sure that if any other elf found out of her mother’s condition they wouldn’t want her alive. Infection to the race was one of the elves biggest fears. Starlyn knew better than that. Her mother was sick, it was not a contagious infection.

                It made sense why Aliuqa sent a black owl with black wax and envelope. She was well aware of what the other elves would do if they found out. Starlyn knew that Aliuqa would never do such a thing. In a strange way Starlyn knew she could trust Aliuqa even though she hadn’t spent a lot of time with her. She was comforted in that thought but wondered if she should return home in case the worst happened.