three

The Outer Banks is a paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

The group took to the marsh on HMS Pogue after their run in with the security. Relaxing, watching the sun disappear. There was music, joints and a lot of joking as each of them appreciated how the world ignored and neglected them to do whatever they desired. The world was their oyster.

***

The following morning Pandy was awoken by John B's soft "good morning". She rolled over to face him as he stood at the end of the bed she had shared with Kie and smiled. They had crashed at John B's place, an old fish shack on the marsh. This had become quite the habit since John B had been living alone after his dad disappeared at sea, searching for the Royal Merchant ship wreck.

John B turned to look at the photo of his dad with a melancholic expression. Pandy couldn't even begin to imagine how torn he must be feeling, not knowing where Big John was or if he was even alive. But he was soon drawn back to reality, greeting Uncle T with half-full beer bottle.

Pandy knew of John's DCS meeting that day on which his fate lingered. She could tell he was not feeling great about it so she smiled and kissed him on the cheek as they went there separate ways: him to the meeting and her to school.

"You can't even lie to me, you have a thing for John B." Kie accused her best friend as they walked through school.

"Of course not, you know the rule: no Pogue on Pogue macking." Pandy denied, blushing slightly as she lied through her teeth.

"First of all, you always say you're not a Pogue therefore the rule does not apply to you. Second, you are totally lying."

"Ok, but what about you and Pope."

"What about me and Pope? There is nothing there."

"Well, maybe we should have just made a 'no JJ on Pogue macking' rule. Would have worked out much better." Pandy joked, "I mean I love JJ but he is an annoying, son of a bitch sometimes."

Kie rolled her eyes but agreed, remembering Pandy and JJ's first meeting. Since the two had bonded through light-hearted banter, having similar senses of humour drew them closer.

The day passed quickly and soon enough the five friends were reunited around a fire on the beach, joking around as usual. But Pandy quickly noticed that John B had removed himself from the group. She gave him his space to think but didn't want him drowning in all the theories in his head. She nudged Pope, letting him know she was going to join John B.

"Hey," she cooed, breaking the thought jail John B had built around himself. "It will all work itself out, you know."

John B sighed. Of course, Pandy knew that he was thinking about the DCS meeting. "Yeah," he agreed, "I know."

She sat beside him, resting her head on his shoulder, watching the waves as they crashed and retreated and crashed and retreated. The pair were comfortable in their own silence, it had released the humid tension that had surrounded John B in his isolation. He breathed, smelling the sweet-scented perfume which Pandy always wore and thought. JJ had been right in a way, upon only her looks and behaviour it seemed obvious that Pandy would be a Kook. Even still she stood out from the group always looking that bit more elevated and glamorous. Her stature alone was enough to paint her as a princess but she was fair and interesting. She was so much deeper than the Kooks. Her aura, vibrant with life, like a Pogue. They enjoyed the moment until they were distracted by a cry from the group behind.

"Hey lovebirds!" Called JJ, "Everyone is heading to the store; I guess there is some news."

The group gathered along with everyone else who live on the cut around the screen in the stores as Hurricane Agatha was announced. Maybe it was fate stopping DCS visiting John B. He moved to the side to call DCS telling them he was going to have to reschedule. The town buzzed as people quickly moved to gather sand bags and board buildings up. John rejoined his friends relieved and relaxed, that was one thing off his back.

***

"It's a double overhead out there, bro." John B announced racing towards the raging ocean. The Pogues wanted to surf Agatha's crazy waves, Pandy hung back. John B had just about taught her the basics: getting up on the board and then riding the wave out, she was not about to attempt whatever a double overhead was.

Pandy set about finding a slightly sheltered area on the dunes to sit bundled in a coat in order to watch her friends. "You guys are crazy." She stated.

John B kissed her on the cheek on instinct, "We'll miss you out there." before running out towards the danger.

Pandy felt the heat rising in her cheeks. He'd never done that before. Sure, there had been a couple occasions when she'd kissed his in support of whatever it was he was doing but for him it was new. And Kie noticed too, winking at her best friend.

"Those aren't surf able waves, bro." Pope called out to John B.

"Says who?" John B challenged.

The four Pogues ran out to hit the waves. They were all impressively great, although JJ did have some crazy skills that the others just couldn't match.

It wasn't too long before they had to run for cover at the Chateau but it also wasn't long before Pope, Kiara and Pandora's parents called them all home wanting them safe from the danger of the hurricane. JJ stayed at John B's a normal occurrence due to JJ's less than perfect home circumstance.

***

Another day, another chapter. Hope you're enjoying! Please let me now if you think chapters should be longer or faster-paced xx