Chap. 1

Crash!

She didn't wake up to the usual ringing of the alarm. Instead, more noise and screaming came from downstairs. Isla Johnson rubbed her eyes and looked towards the glass window. Though she could see the sun shining, she knew today wasn't going to be very bright. Rolling out of bed, she groaned for the second time, and began to stretch.

As more disturbing yelling and sounds came from downstairs, Isla tried her hardest to ignore it all as she got ready for school. She was glad she had her own bathroom inside of her bedroom, so that way she wouldn't have to go outside of her bedroom and possibly join in on the fight. Isla walked inside her bathroom and shut the door, relief filling her up as she turned the shower on. It was much more peaceful in here, which is why she tend to stay in her bathroom more often than her own bedroom.

Taking her clothes off, Isla suddenly felt a sharp pain on the side of her stomach. Looking down, her eyes widened a little bit to see a large wound spread across, just beside her flat stomach. She immediately ran her arm across her eyes before the tears could splatter out.

I didn't think it was this big!

Isla choked back tears as she finished removing the rest of her clothing, making sure not to touch her wound in case it started to hurt again. It took a while to take a shower, since she had to cover up the wound so water wouldn't touch it and trigger the pain, but minutes after, she found herself leaving the bathroom, wrapped in her towel.

As soon as she left the bathroom, a sudden bang against her bedroom door made her jump. Isla turned around, afraid of who it could be. She walked towards the door slowly, before taking ahold of the knob and twisting it. Behind the door was an angry looking face glaring back at her.

"Isla!" The angry face spoke. You could literally see her face turning red and smoke puffing out of her ears and nose. Isla sighed but didn't move away as her mother opened the door wider. "What's taking you so long?! Do you know what time it is now?" Her mother held up her other hand, which was holding unto a phone. On the screen was the time. 8:15 am.

Isla gulped. Her mother always expected her to leave to school at exactly 8:20 am. She had said it was because she didn't want any annoying human beings in the house, so Isla had always tried her hardest to wake up early and leave early.

"I'm sorry," Isla bent her head as she muttered out an apology. When she looked up, she was just in time to see an arm swinging towards her. Isla moved to dodge it, but was too late as her mother's fist slammed against her face. Isla could feel herself falling, until her body landed on the floor. She wanted to get up quickly, afraid her mother was going to make another move, but instead, she found herself touching her now swollen face.

Her mother whirled around in such a dramatic way. "I expect you to be out of here at 8:20! If I come back up here to see your ugly face still in my house, you'll see how I'll deal with you." The woman turned to face Isla one last time, spouted out a bunch of insult words, before finally trotting away.

Isla took in a sharp breath. At least she didn't go far today. She got up from the floor, a little bit glad that she still had some time left. I know I'm not going to be out of here at 8:20. I'll just leave from my window. Even though it was a 2- story house, Isla was never afraid to jump from her window and land on top of her closed garbage bin. Closing the door, she rushed to her small closet and started picking out clothes.

She made no effort to make herself look good, although knowing that she'd never look good in any of the clothes she had. She grabbed her backpack, her phone, and headed to her window. She could hear footsteps outside of her bedroom, nearing her, so she knew her mother was coming back. Quickly, she opened the glass window, tossed her backpack out of it, although she knew it was a bit too late for her to jump out.