Chapter 6: Prophecy Unveiled

"Are we absolutely certain they are the Champions?"

That question has been uttered for the fourth time, this time again a different person proposed it. Annoying as it is, most of the War council members are skeptical, to say the least.

"Both Officer Sol and I saw the Ancient One when they finished the Test," Zlatan says, his voice not loud enough to be considered yelling but it's a near thing. And it's the fifth time he said that sentence.

It is the most surprising thing; the golden-haired man took it upon himself to advocate them and has continued doing it throughout the whole discussion. Even when the earth clan's representative Anastazija accused him of blatant favoritism. Even when the finance town official Mariam spat barbed words of Zlatan's own failure as the Champion that had happened decades ago. Even throughout the angry remarks and distasteful opinions, Zlatan has remained vigilant in defending them, no matter how much all of it must have stung his pride.

Surprising as it is, there is another thing that has elicited somewhat of a shock. Throughout this discussion Yana has stayed completely silent, leaving Zlatan to deal with annoying questions even when he mentioned her secondary name.

"And where is this Ancient One now, huh? It must have been quite a dream to compel you to think you've seen it."

The taunting voice belonged to the representative of the smith foundation, Tihomir. Quite a sleazy man, as far as Plamen is concerned. Both his tilted eyes and gray skin pointed to affiliation to one of the clans out of Zmajeva Zvijezda, probably Zmijin Kamen or Drečina.

Zlatan doesn't rise to the bait, instead, he clicks his tongue loudly, scowling at the man. When he opens his mouth to answer he's beaten to it, for Yana stands up and, for the first time since addressing the Commander, speaks.

"There's an easy way to confirm it," she says, and a sharp smile on her face seems terribly dangerous as her small fangs glint under the harsh candlelight.

Zlatan jerks his head at her immediately, swiftly grasping her forearm and meets her eyes with a severe stare. "You don't mean that!"

"Well, we're getting nowhere with all this shitty roundabout discussion," she proclaims. "It's not like anything dreadful will happen."

Zlatan looks like he's a few seconds short of combusting, with an eye twitching violently and mouth pressed into a thin line. "Goddamnit, Yana!" he roars after a moment, shaking her arm. "It's a foolish idea."

Their staring contest is interrupted when the Commander asks, "What is this about?" He's piercing the two older Dragon Heirs with an expectant, unnerving stare. Plamen shivers involuntarily, even though it isn't aimed at him.

That man reeks of danger; it appears almost unintentionally simple as Plamen observes his profile where he sees one eyebrow arched expectantly over a hardened eye.

Zlatan huffs, letting go of Yana's arm, and raises his hands in the air. "Just so you know, I'm absolutely against this."

Yana turns a deaf ear to his complaints, shifting her eyes on Plamen.  "It's easy. Plamen, extend your dominant hand out, palm down."

The red mark of the Dragon King carved elegantly into his skin slithers and moves as he does so, almost as if it's alive, brimming with concealed magic, eager, narrowly contained into that small patch of skin.

"Now," Yana continues. "Vid, sweetie, do the same. But put your hand on Plamen's."

Vid is slow in his motions, looking rather pale as he executes what he's instructed to do, and Plamen sees that Vid's mark is a bit lighter with softer edges than his own.