Chapter 15: Old adage

After that tearful, full of mocking and laughter reunion, three of them head off to meet with the Commander.

The night is warm with a light, cool breeze showing its face here and there. Yet the lull of the moonlight is deceitful. And the shadows are damning things, fluttering over the landscape like impatient fingers waiting to wrap around someone's throat.

They pass the fields, continue down the outside pathway beside the Castle. Animal carvings in the beige marble decorations have never looked so eerie.

They've just rounded a corner when The Commander comes running toward them.

"Duck!" he ordered, throwing himself to the ground.

His hands immediately grabbed at his teammates to make sure they'll huddle too. Half a moment later a blob of lightning passed their heads, making his hair stand up from static plastering itself to the underside of his hood.

The Commander pops back up to his feet circling back throwing a fire spell at the attacker. He sides them a glance before pointing to the side door hanging open. "Go inside and wait for me."

They don't wait around to get a better look at the opponent, as Plamen hurriedly rushes them through the said door and into the dark interior. During that tumble into the Castle, Vid loses balance over the threshold, Zima barely catches him under an arm, practically dragging him inside, and Plamen pivots to kick the door closed and leans his whole weight on it to keep it shut.

"I can't see shit," Vid informs them helpfully. All the light disappearing after he closed the door was a dead giveaway for this being some kind of storeroom with no windows. It was already dark outside, he didn't see what this room looked like while entering.

"Hold my hand, I'll guide you," Zima tells him.

Plamen ignores their exchange, listening in on the ongoings outside. There's a muffled sound of a crash, then some sound he can't really describe, like birds chirping, and then silence. It lasts good two minutes then comes a knock.

"It's safe now."

Plamen moves aside, letting the door creep open. The Commander looks worse for wear standing at the threshold. Locks of his hair fall over his eyes, hiding parts of his face all the way to his mouth. Half of the insignia on his left shoulder looks singed and is still smoking. Above it, his earlobe is darker in color from what Plamen assumes must be blood because it drips down in dribblets. Well, he could look worse. What matters is that they're all alive.

"As you can see, there are many obstacles," the Commander says in an even tone. "And, hopefully, we'll have enough time to discuss a few things before another one shows up."

"Um," Vid starts, looking unsure.

They all look at him, but he keeps silent, fidgeting on the spot right behind Plamen.

The Commander's patience breaks first. "Out with it, boy."

Vid startles, letting out a quiet yelp. "Can we...talk outside?" he asks, shifting his head to look over his shoulder. "I think I've heard something with too many legs tapping over the floor."

The Commander's expression doesn't change, but Plamen feels like he's giving Vid a deadpan stare. "Come on," he says, tipping his head in the direction of the outside and moves aside so they can exit.

"We've already dealt with about a dozen of Vanguards as far as I know. And from the intel we've gathered, we are aware of three dozen left, give or take a few," he informs them as they shuffle out. He crosses his arms over his chest, giving them a stern look. "Don't engage if you're not in the group of at least three people. Actually, the best for you would be to run away, hide, whatever. The Vanguards came for you, so don't serve yourself on a silver platter."