06

Please. Someone. God? Mom? Someone.

My chest starts to burn. The combination of not being able to breathe, and frantically trying to swim causes my lungs to shrivel, thirsty for air. I thrust my arms every which way. This could be it. I don't know which way is up ad suddenly I've forgotten how to swim.

I stop moving and am about to give up and take a breath. I know I wouldn't actually breathe in any air. All it would be is pure saltwater that enters my lungs. But I need to. The temptation and burn are too strong.

Just as I am about to inhale, I feel something slink around my waist, gripping me tightly. My first thought is some sort of sea creature. It's realized how vulnerable I am, and it's going to devour me as soon as it squeezes and suffocates me first. 

I force my eyes open, ignoring the extreme burn. I can't see anything except my own hair in front of my face. Except, my hair isn't that dark. 

The grip around my waist tightens, and before I know it, I feel myself get yanked. I freeze and allow myself to be pulled through the freezing water. Within a few seconds, my head reaches the surface ad I take in the deepest breath I ever have before. 

The cool air rushes around my face and my hair sticks to my skin. I force my eyes open just to see Ace next to me, his lips nearly touching my ear. "Are you alright?" he asks. I say nothing. Not because I don't want to, but because I can't. I cough up some water and continue breathing in deep huffs.

I force myself to start swimming again, even though the burn in my limbs is almost unbearable. I can't put him in danger, too, just because I choose not to swim. I see him become visibly relieved at me swimming, but his grip around me doesn't loosen.

He looks up at the boat, and so do I. Tons of faces are looking down at us, most of them shocked, and many people clapping. 

"Throw it down, will you?" Ace calls over the roar of the engine and shouts. I watch as a guy moves to the side of the yacht and tosses down a long ladder. We swim over to it, and Ace pushes me ahead of him. I grab the sides and climb up, still catching my breath. I see through my feet that Ace is close behind.

I pull myself up the ladder until I heave myself forward once more until I feel my body hit the surface of the deck with a thud. Dozens of hands reach forward and touch me, and I flip myself onto my back. My eyes burn from the salt water, and I cough out water onto the wood.

"Give her space," I hear Lucas say loudly. Some of the hands disappear, and I feel Lucas at my side. "Dev, you alright?" he says. I force myself to open my eyes and sit up. My breathing is labored, and my hair is stuck all over my face and neck.

I watch as Ace is pulled up by several other people and he flops next to me. He quickly gets up though, and to his feet. "I'm fine, I'm alright," he says as he's surrounded. He glances down at me and I try to thank him, but words still won't come out yet.

I brush the hair off my face and take a deep, shaky breath. What even just happened? Why didn't Ace want me to drink the punch?

Lucas grabs one of my arms while Hayes - who appeared out of nowhere - grabs my other. They hoist me up and I stand there like a wet dog. I look down and quickly cover my chest by crossing my arms. My soaked tank top shows a little more than I would like it too.

I look up and my eyes meet with Ace's. His wet hair is hanging on his forehead and over his eyes that are looking at me. He's breathing heavily out of his mouth and takes a step towards me. "You're alright," he says, but it's said as a statement rather than a question.

I nod, and the boat starts moving again. I notice that we're heading towards shore. I hear some annoyed and disappointed groans, and Lucas rolls his eyes. "We're just getting off and you guys can get back to your stupid party, alright?" he calls out loudly.