Chapter 5

This is a picture of 'Foxface' from the hunger games. She is who my character, Finch is supposed to be and look like. Her name is the same as what her name is though to be in the movie!

____________________________________

I end up crying myself to sleep and when I wake up my face is covered in dry tears. I prop myself up against the trees sturdy trunk and I cringe at how sore my back is. I am rubbing the aching pain from my back when I hear Finch begin to stir on the branch above me.

"How'd you sleep?" She asks my while yawning. My yawn almost answers the question.

"Not well." I respond.

"What happened?" Finch asks. she sounds concerned and she can tell something happened last night.

I tell her it's because of how the uncomfortable tree limb was and how much my back hurts but I leave out the part about the careers and how they killed that innocent girl.

We both climb back down the tree and sit on the ground to finish the rest of the berries in our pack.

When we are both done eating, I stand up and wipe the leaves off the back of my pants with my hands. Finch swings the pack over her back before standing up.

We continue walking in the direction the careers came from last night. The sun is brutal and it's humid so it doesn't take long before we are both sweating.

"Are we anywhere near the river?" Finch asks after about 15 minutes of walking. I stop and think of how long it took to walk from the river to the tree we slept in last night.

"I would guess about 10 minutes." I respond. My mouth is dry and a cool drink of water sounds really good right now.

After almost another 10 minutes of walking we reach the river. The sounds of the flowing water sound amazing in the moist, hot air. We both run towards the river, forgetting to check if anyone else is here or not. We splash into the shallow water and end up sitting in the middle of the shallow river with water running over our dehydrated bodies.

After splashing in the water for a while we both realize we still have all of our clothes on and Finch is still wearing our smalll pack.

"These wet clothes will be the death of us tonight if we don't get them dry." I say remembering how cold it's been for the past couple nights.

"You're right. We should get these dry." Finch responds

We both get out of the water and walk along the bank until we find a place that's under cover.

After walking down stream a little ways, we stumble upon a small cave that's almost invisible from the outside. The inside of the cave is moist and water occasionally drips from the roof.

"This looks alright. It's mostly dry." I say as we sit inside the cave inspecting the dripping walls.

We strip the wet outer layers of our clothes, leaving on our under clothes, and lay them out on the rocks so the sun can dry them. We once again splash into the cool water and wash ourselves and drink the fresh water.

We play in the shallow river for most of the day and don't ever see any signs of our fellow tributes.

By the time we can feel the wind grow colder our clothes are dry. We get dressed again and crawl into our small cave.

"This definitely beats sleeping in a tree." Says Finch. We make a meal out of small roots we found in the river and lay down to go to sleep.

"I'm glad we became allies."
Finch says after a while. We can hear the wind against the outside of the cave. We are protected from most of it but the cold air still gets in through the opening of the cave.

"Me too. We would both be dead if we hadn't." I respond. I am truly happy that we became allies and are now friends. Pain stabs me when I remember that only one of us can win and the odds are that neither Me or Finch are going to be the victor of the 74th Hunger Games.