Chapter 9

If sorry that I haven't posted anything lately. I hope you all enjoy this next chapter.
_______________________________

My empty stomach wakes me the next morning. I realize I haven't eaten anything but small portions of berries for almost a week. I need something more or I might starve to death.

Peeta is still asleep so I don't wake him. I take the piece of cloth off of his forehead and crawl out of the cave and onto the damp river bank.

It's humid, but not as hot as it's been  the last few days. I walk over to the running water and wet the cloth. The water is cool and refreshing on my dirt-covered hands.

I haven't been keeping track of how many tributes have died so there's no telling how many of us are left. The people back home must be celebrating because the two tributes from 12 rarely make it past the 5th day. Even though I didn't think I would make it this far, I'm not in the mood for celebration. I realize that if I'm not careful, I could be dead in a second.

As I am sitting on the bank ringing out  the now damp cloth the temperature begins to drop rapidly and dark clouds form above.

I quickly finish ringing out the scrap of cloth and run back to the cave. Inside, Peeta has woken up and relief fills his eyes when he sees me enter the cave.

"You have to tell me before you leave. For all I know, you could have been killed." Peeta says as I lay the damp cloth in his forehead.

"Don't worry about me. You, on the other hand, are burning up. And your wound isn't healing. If we don't get medicine quick you'll die before I can get you out of here ." He looks confused .

"Prim," Peeta looks me in the eye and I can tell what's coming. "You know only one of us can win, and if it's going to be any of us, it's going to be you."

I don't respond. He's right. Only one of us can win. He continues.

"And there's no way I'm getting out of here with this leg. The best thing you can do is leave me here and save yourself." I don't know what to say. I've been doing my best to keep spirits up. I knew the minute I saw Peeta's I jury that he was going to lose his leg. And even if he could move by himself, how do you save someone who doesn't want to be saved?

We sit in silence for a couple minutes when I decide I should find some food other than berries.

"Well, even if you're right, I still want to keep us alive as long as possible. I'm going to go look for food before it storms." I crawl over to the entrance.

"No. I'm sorry Prim. I shouldn't have said those things. Just... It's hard to be hopeful when the people running this game want you dead." Peeta says as I am about to exit the cave. " Just please be careful. I know I'm not going to make it out of here, but if there's one thing I know for sure its that you are not going to die before me."

"It's okay." I say. "But Peeta, you should also know that we can't live off of berries forever. I'm going out. I'll be back before it starts raining. Okay?" I say to him in a serious tone. I can't have him worrying about me when he's the one dying.

"Fine." He sighs. "But please hurry?" He asks.

"I will." I respond as I step out of the caves entrance in to the cool air. The wind is picking up and it will start raining soon so I hurry into the woods.
I don't know what to look for so I start out looking for herbs that I can make tea with.

I find a bush of Rosemary and pick some pine needles off of a low handing branch. I think I can make some tea from this that will help to keep us warm. I only hope it doesn't taste terrible.

I'm turning to head back to the cave when I hear twigs snapping. Before I can think I'm sprinting back in the direction of the cave. I hear more of what sounds like footsteps and my heart beat quickens.

Thunder shakes the ground and it begins to rain lightly.

I turn around a tree and standing before me is Cato, the boy tribute from district two. His grip tightens on the spear in his hand and his expression is unforgiving.Tears form in my eyes as I realize what's happening. Cato isn't afraid to kill me. I am going to die. I want to run, but suddenly, as if time has frozen, I freeze. Cato freezes. Time looses all meaning.

Cato smirks and I can tell he is enjoying the fear in my eyes. His blue eyes show a twinkle of madness, as if he's on the brink of insanity, or perhaps already there. Just as quickly as it appeared, the smirk disappears from his face.

"Please." I choke out, even though I know begging won't save me. In a matter of seconds Cato raises the spear above his head. I don't even see it leave his hand, but I feel it. It finds its mark in my chest and the immediate pain is overwhelming. I suddenly loose feeling in all other parts of my body. I fall backwards and hit the ground, the spear still lodged in my chest cavity.

I can hear Catos foot steps approaching me and tears spill over my eyes. I can't talk. I can't breathe. Black spots form in my vision and it's hard to focus on anything.

"I'm sorry I had to do that." He says while looking down at me, yet sarcasm in his words shows he's really not. "Now that you're out of the way the only one left between me and victory is Peeta. To be honest I'm surprised you even made it this far." He says, the corners of his lips turning up in a cruel smile. "Peeta will be my last kill so you can be sure his death will be the most painful."

Cato reaches down and yanks the blood covered spear from my body.

A small cry escapes my mouth and my eyes widen in fear. He chuckles under his breath as he raises the spear above his head and drives it into my chest once more.

I can feel my warm blood soaking my cloths. All pain in my body begins to cease. And I can only hear my uneven breathing.

This is it.

All it once everything is overwhelming. The sun is to bright, the smell of rain, the taste of bile in my mouth, my shallow breathing. I close my eyes

This is how it all ends.

Memories flash in my brain. I see a sunrise, the stars, falling snow, flowers, my father, Katniss, coal covered men, my mother's smile, my home. I remember watching the rain with Katniss through my kitchen window. I remember standing on the porch and watching as my father walked home from the mines. I remember my mother telling me I shouldn't be so afraid of the dark.

And suddenly I'm not afraid anymore.