The Bet (Prologue)

"So? Are you in or are you out?" Man prodded eagerly, alongside a cheeky grin on his face. Bright knew Gun definitely had something up his sleeves, and he knew that he was so going to regret his decision the next minute.

Bright let out an exasperated sigh and shook his head in defeat before he replied reluctantly,

"Fine. What's the bet?"

As soon as he asked, a million thoughts instantly flooded through Bright's head - Put a cockroach in the dean's cup of coffee? Vandalise the principal's office? Apply sticky glue on the classroom chairs? Whatever it is, he was mentally prepared for the worst. At most he would get away with a detention but that wasn't something new. He had always been rebellious and detention class was like his second home. Plus, he was confident the school wouldn't and couldn't do anything more to him since his family after all is rather influential and it only takes a call from his dad to the dean's office to get him scot-free.

Man placed his index finger under his chin, pondering. "Hmm..." Man's eyes wandered around the school's campus, hoping to search for some kind of 'inspiration'.

Man's pair of eyes stopped darting upon noticing something or rather someone pretty interesting which had clearly caught his attention. His eyes landed on a petite boy, cladded in a simple white t-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans that looked slightly too big for his small stature. The boy had messy black hair and fringe that looked untrimmed for ages to the point where it was almost covering his eyes.

And suddenly, Man's eyes lit up. It was as if an epiphany had struck him.

Bright looked at Man nervously.

"I think I have just got the most exciting bet for you. " Man smirked, eyes still fixated on the boy.

Bright gulped anxiously, as his curious eyes followed Man's gaze to the object of interest.

"Make him fall in love with you." Man said, with a mischievous smirk on his face as he turned to direct his attention towards a now seemingly confused Bright after the boy scurried for class and left his field of vision.

"What?" Bright said, mouth agape and clearly still shock from what Man had said.

"You heard me." Man replied with a small almost devilish smile. Upon seeing the look on Bright's face, he then added, "It isn't even that hard for you geez. You are like the school's most popular student. Trust me, a day is all it takes for him to confess to you. And once he does, you can break things off with him and the bet is considered done."

"Bruh. You made it sound so easy." Bright protested, disapproval evident on his face. "I don't even know his name or anything about him for that matter! How is this even going to work? Also mind you, I am straight so I don't go for guys."

Man let out a small chuckle upon seeing Bright furrowing his brows. "I am not asking you to fall in love with him so it doesn't matter if you are straight or not. Like I said, it is all just a bet. And I am sure you will get to know him soon enough if you made the effort to."

At this point, Bright was certain that Man was going to be adamant about this so there was no room for discussion. Moreover, if anyone was to blame, it can only be him - Why did he even agree to his whole bet-thing in the beginning? Because of the excitement that he desperately needs in his dull and boring life? Because he enjoys the thrill and thought it would be fun? Well, it sure is, now that it was his turn to carry out the bet, second after Boss who had completed his bet last week which earned him a week of detention.

Bright closed his eyes, feeling exhausted already though the bet hasn't even started yet. He found himself mumbling in an attempt to convince himself perhaps, "Come on Bright! It is just a bet, right? Only a bet, nothing else. It couldn't be that hard."

Little did he know that as soon as those words left his mouth that he was oh so wrong.