ONE

I started writing this one-shot story more than a month ago and it was supposed to be a "survive the apocalypse" type of plot but things changed, the situation got worse and it affected me directly, so I decided to focus on the romance instead of the virus. It ended up being a corny and sickeningly sweet story in four chapters that's not at the same level of the rest of my works but it's all I have right now so I'm publishing it before I go back to The Bat Chase. I hope you like it, some parts are funny, I think... And as usual, please excuse the mistakes of this Spanish speaker, vote, comment, be happy, be proud, be gay and above all, please I beg you, stay safe. FYI: it's 8:25 am and I haven't slept tonight... what the hell am I doing with my life?

"What do you mean? I need to get on that plane now!"

"Madam, I'm sorry, the plane is full and there's no other one."

"But you don't understand it: I need to go back to LA before they close the borders, the hotel has closed and they kicked our asses out... I have no place to go!"

"I'm sorry, madam, but this situation is difficult for all of us..."

I check my phone listening to the screams and complaints of the tourists in the background while they try to leave the island as soon as possible; actually, I agree with the guy behind the airline desk: this situation is terribly complicated all over the world with the virus spreading like wildfire, entire countries quarantined, collapsed health systems, some people are very sick and some others are in critical condition... and the worst thing is that the WHO has been trying to warn everybody for months about this possibility and only a few payed attention. This isn't the best moment to come to the Caribbean on holiday, that's for sure. Fortunately, Santa Marta Island is not the most touristic place in the region, despite we have a couple of fancy hotels, some others are cheaper but cute and also some accommodations are clean hostels, but tourists tend to choose bigger islands around us where there're clubs to dance all night long and fancy resorts where fun is guaranteed. Thanks to our isolation no one is sick on this island, as far as we know, although you never can tell and it's better safe than sorry, I suppose.

"Good evening, señorita, here's your parcel."

"Thank you, Oscar, I'm so sorry... my family sent me this before all this mess started. I won't have any other parcel in a lot of time, I'm afraid." I put my dark brown hair up in a ponytail before leaning forward to take the box from the counter trying not to get closer to the postman. Yes, this island is so small that the airport terminal and the post office share the same building. "How's Pedro doing?"

"He was happy because classes were cancelled and the school closed yesterday but today he's found out that you had sent homework by email and has been grumbling for a while."

"I understand, maybe closing the school could look a little drastic but I'm in touch with my family in Spain and, believe me, things are getting very bad there. You know, better safe than sorry and that's why I persuaded the governor to send the kids back home today. The homework I sent them is easier and funnier than usual, at least I tried, because this is a weird situation and I don't want the kids to get more anxious... And in addition to this, I don't want to lose my title of coolest teacher of the island."

Oscar laughs amused while I wave goodbye and turn around to leave: he knows we're only two teachers on this island, I take care of the kids and Mr. Mendoza deals with teenagers but he has a reputation for being demanding and grumpy. I won't lose my title because of some homework, probably. The box isn't that big or heavy, luckily, and I don't need help to carry it to my car while I pay attention to dodge the airport staff and the handful of tourists desperate to find a flight to get out of here.