Her Best Kept Secret and His Biggest Mistake. | .33

Kellin's tank top hung a little looser on his body, his already impossibly skinny jeans seemed a bit baggy in places. He took in his own reflection with surprise, noting his disheveled hair and pouchy eyes. How long had that been going on? When had he surrendered again to those sneaky demons who took away his care for himself?

"If only we had a bus to ourselves, like we used to," Katelynne purred in his ear, her arms—also thinned beyond their usual slender—twining silkily around his narrowed waist.

Kellin chuckled, only somewhat forcing the sound, and twisted around to pull her closer. "I think we have enough children at this point... a bus all alone would be dangerous."

Katelynne rested her head on his shoulder, "Speaking of..."

Kellin moaned, "No, no, I was only kidding! I liked the other thoughts you were having."

Kate giggled softly, "We'll have time for that another day, for now... did you call?"

Kellin nodded, his movement telegraphed through his body so that she knew his answer without raising her head. "We've got to talk with her tonight," he sighed into the hair that wasn't hers, too stiff and false to be the soft tresses of his wife. But those would come back someday, he knew.

"Let's just get through the barbecue for now," his wife responded, her voice also gentle and tentative, neither of them ready to face reality, willing to push it off just a bit more by any means.

Knock, knock. "Come in," Kellin called, kissing Katelynne's forehead as he rearranged their embrace to allow for prying eyes.

Liam cracked open the door, his hand over his eyes dramatically, "Are you being gooey and gross?"

Kellin laughed and ruffled his son's hair, "Not too gross."

"Okay," Liam conceded, dropping his hand and giving his parents an annoyed look, "then can we get a move on? I'm starving!"

Kellin and his wife followed Liam into the front lounge, the rest of the band had gone on, taking Rowan Cole and Copeland. Liam would never have admitted it, but he waited to walk with Kellin out of fear. Not that he was afraid of the other bands, but Liam was just a bit older than the other kids, already fighting to fit in with the grown ups, and liked the security of knowing that by walking with Kell, he wouldn't be lumped in with the other 'kids'. Rowan Elizabeth waited behind as well, sitting on the sofa and gazing over her shoulder out of the window placidly.

"Let's do this," Kellin enthused, strain evident behind the sentiment. Rowan Elizabeth rose to follow her family without a word, her facade only on when she thought one of them might be looking. Otherwise her expression fell flat, her eyes roaming with little interest in what they might find. The family exited the bus and instantly found themselves amidst the melee of a Warped Tour barbecue night. Rowan's hand was taken easily by her mother, though she would have preferred to melt into the madness without interruption. Liam presumably held Kell's hand, and Rowan felt another swift wave of jealousy overtake her. She had no right to the feeling, she knew, especially as she planned to remove herself from the group soon enough.

Scanning around, many familiar faces popped up, and most of those came closer to greet Kellin's real family excitedly. Rowan knew they must tack on kind words for her simply to avoid awkwardness. She could see so clearly now how much of a nuisance she had become for them all, clinging to every band member with annoying force. How had they managed to be so polite about it? She was sure she hadn't the patience to deal with some kid hanging around, inviting herself into their plans. Andy offered to take her to grab some food, maybe noticing her 'bored' features as her parents talked animatedly with friends. She declined, knowing better than to take advantage of his mandatory attempt. Matty tried to engage her in conversation, mentioning again his niece that would be visiting the tour soon, but Rowan only managed to nod and smile vaguely until he gave up. Vic... that was the hard one. With everyone else she could see through their gestures now, but with him, it felt so different.