Part 3, The Xefef school

"Do as I say, not as I do."
-Creed of the Xefef magick school

The habitually bad tempered Xefef school has always considered itself the first magick school. It seems right to them since the appearance of Xefef sorcerers is what started the age of magick.

However, it began with events in the age before, the age of stupidity. An extreme cult of Kor shamans called the Amoks were experimenting with the selfish side of spirituality. The intent was to create more belief in Thaat, the god of cultists, but the experiments failed. As the petulant child god that Thaat always was, he cursed them with magick. Some of the Kor cultists became the first Xefef sorcerers, but Thaat wasn't done. The curse once released had always existed, like a god it had no respect for the linear progression of time. This is why some children in every generation is born with the talent for magick. Even Troll magick — that was ages old when the age of magick started — got the curse to a lesser degree since they are also magick resistant.

In the new version of themselves, the sorcerers set about becoming even more selfish than the Amoks. Starting with rejecting everything divine. Thaat's curse hadn't just cursed them with magick, it had also given them the knowledge of the divine. Meaning they knew for sure that gods exist., and just like gods, sorcerers don't share power. So, without meaning to they created the creed of reverse-agnosticism, which led to Fnord, the unnamed god.

The quest of the Xefef school is omnipotence, because anything less than complete power was seen as a waste of energy. Like the bosses they essentially were, Xefef had grand plans and almost no ideas for how to accomplish those plans. So, the parts of their quest they were to incompetent to handle, which was almost all of it, was outsourced to new quests. This started the chain of events that led to the other magick schools, starting with Macbiar and their quest for immortality.

The strongest version of Xefef magick ever discovered was the voice, and comes in two versions. Angry yelling and silky flattery. Only to be used when the lesser forms of manipulation had no effect. Manipulation was the essence of Xefef magick .

While the other schools got busy doing the actual work, Xefef went back to its roots with unethical experimentation. They were trying to harness the power of the elements to use for their own gain. They called this new power Airy. Worried about testing the raw power of earth, water, fire, and wind on themselves, they stuck it into some Knomes. It worked so well that the test subjects became an entirely new race, the Pish. If the sorcerers had gotten this power on top of magick, it would have ended in violence for the entire continent. But their own reverse agnosticism screwed them. Fnord the unnamed god, that the sorcerers have actively been refusing to believe in since they first appeared, got involved and made Airy incompatible with magick. Not for any noble reason, just because he hates sorcerers.

Xefef kept the Pish around for a while as familiars and the Pish for a time accepted this arrangement. Taking their payment in watching the sorcerers in every detail of their private lives. They especially enjoyed watching them awkwardly trying to copulate. However, the Pish were never satisfied and a the sorcerers became evermore genderless, their familiars became evermore bored. In the end it started the Eerie rebellion and the age of extinction. Because in their struggle for freedom and taking the forest of Dim as their own, the Pish also made the Giant race extinct. Ever since the fact that Xefef created the Pish had been a closely guarded secret only known to the top level of the cult of one.