Chapter One- Meeting

People often underestimate secretaries. Now, you try not to take offense when someone looks at you and says something along the lines of "aw she's short and a secretary. She can't hurt us..."

Ever heard of the saying "short people have short tempers?" You'd want to say back but part of being a secretary ensured you had some patience with people.

You were good at holding back your anger, which also ensured you hid your scarlet eyes. Yes, that is correct. You have the highly-desired scarlet eyes. Kurapika was your younger sisters' friend- you were about five years older than him.

When the Kurta clan was attacked, the two of you were the only survivors, sticking together ever since.

He was constantly saying something about getting revenge. You tried to reason with him, saying what your mother was always saying to you anytime you got mad at someone. "Hurting someone who hurt you doesn't make you any better than them."

At least she'd say that until she died. But even then, you still couldn't find yourself to be mad about it. Not as mad as Kurapika, anyway. Which brings us to this-

"No, you aren't coming!" Kurapika said to you, the group of you standing in front of the auction house. Melody looked at Kurapika, then you.

"We must get going." She says in her soft tone.

"I am too going!" You protest, looking to the others who were trying to speed up your argument and chase down the mafia.

"Its too dangerous, you must stay here with the boss." Kurapika replies but you just glare at him. He places a hand on your shoulder and stares for a moment before getting into the one of cars and driving away. You look to the second vehicle at Basho who smiles at you an jerks his head to the side.

"Let's get going shall we?" He asks and you grin, getting into the car.

The vehicle drives along, following the one in front of it. Feeling that it was owed, you say, "Thank you, Basho... For letting me ride with you, I mean."

He smiles softly, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove. You were sitting in the backseat, staring out the window so you didn't see who else was in the car. Through the reflection you could see the dog trainer guy. 'I totally forgot what his name is...' You thought. You joined this crew with Kurapika as a secretary to keep track of the numbers spent and the items collected while at the auction. Your boss's father often said "The money doesnt matter, just get the item."

Because of this, you wondered why they even needed a secretary to keep track of such things.

Thinking of this, you huffed a (h/c) strand of hair from your eyeline.

"Why did you want to come anyways, (y/n)?" Basho asks. You shrug in reply.

"Being a secretary is kinda boring." You say. Though you were just a secretary, and learning nen wasn't something that you had done yet. The most you'd done is passed the hunter exam with Kurapika. After that when your group split, you went with Leorio to help with his medical studies. You even learned a thing or two in the process. But still, you knew it was a thing. Just had no experience using it. After being with Leorio, Kurapika and you met up before traveling to York New City and you were hired as a secretary.

The vehicle stopped and all of your group exited the vehicle. Looking around, there was nothing but rock and other vehicles lined up with their headlights revealing the scene of littered bodies. Basho grabbed a pair of binoculars from the glove compartment and viewed the scene, letting out a low whistle.