Chapter 9

Jealousy

Greta pov

I watched Alice run up the stairs. I knew she wanted to cry like a baby, but she knew not to do it in front of me. I listened as I heard the bedroom door loudly close with a bang.

I knew I shouldn't of let her come along, but I couldn't let her risk finding out the truth back home. I knew our older sister, Sadie could keep her in line, but it won't stop Cole opening his big mouth and telling Alice what really happened that night.

I still felt angry and a little creeped out. I eyed the doll wearily, it was a creepy thing. The smile and those eyes put me on edge.

But the way the Heelshire acted with the doll was totally wrong. They are not children, they shouldn't be playing with doll their age.

When they both introduced 'me' to Brahms, I thought it was a joke. I was waiting for a small boy to jump out at some place.

And the way Malcolm talked to it, I knew it was an act to keep the old couple happy. He was creeped out as well.

And then there was Alice. How dare she embarrass me in front of the Heelshire.

First, she hides my shoes.

Second, she tells a poem so the attention is finally on her. Who reads Edgar Allan Poe?

Third, she gets part of my job.

Arn't I the nanny? They hired me, not her. Feeling pissed off, I grab my coat and head in the front garden. It was huge, with a pond to the left of the garden.

I spotted a swing, and I walk towards it. Sitting down, I watch the ducks in the water. Popping a cigarette into my mouth and light the end, I take a huge drag.

It was quite and perfect. But there was no one near by. We were in the middle of nowhere. Looking for any signs of life, there was nothing, part from a tall man staring at me across from the pond. He wore a hood covering his face.

'Hay. Over here.' I shouted, waving my hands. He never responded, just staring. I noticed he was holding something... A cat, not moving or making a sound. I freeze, as the man walks to the back of the house.

Running, I look up and notice my curtains moving slightly. Alice...

Unlocking the door. I run up the stairs, tripping up my own feet.

'Alice, if you come into my room again, I swear to god I will beat you.' I threatened. I waited for an answer, but I never got one. I tried opening her bedroom door, but it was locked.

Taking a couple of deep breaths, I head into my bedroom. Nothing out of place. Pulling the curtains to one side, there was dust on the floor with bare feet foot prints. Strange. Must be Mr Heelshire.

Since there was no child to look after, I decided to have some me time. I unpacked my books and magazines and neatly put them on a shelf.

I put my cloths on hangers in the wardrobe along with my favourite coral dress. I smiled, Sadie got me it before we left.

I grabbed a handful of t shirts, jeans and my underwear and shoved them in the draws with out folding them up.

I turned back and froze. Inside the suitcase was a very old photo. It was me, a bit younger a man holding my hand, smiling at the camera.

Feeling angry, I grab the picture and put in in the draw under my underwear.

Sighing, it's past three in the afternoon. I had been packing for three hours. Alice hasn't come out of the bedroom, but she's been quite.

Feeling hungry, I grab my jars of jam and peanut butter and head down stairs. Making my sandwich and pour myself a large glass of red wine. The expensive type.

I go into the living room and flicked on the small TV and watch some comedy series. I eat my sandwiches and sip my drink with satisfaction.

My eyes flick to the doll, and I sighed in releaf that it was still covered up. A laugh track on the TV pulls my attention back to the TV. I giggle along and pour my self another large glass of wine.

The comedy series finishes and the news comes on. I grab my magazine and flick through the pages. I finish the bottle of wine, and close my eyes.

I wake up, covered in a blanket. The TV was switched off and my plate and bottle was missing. In their place, was a piece of paper with a list of rules.

Feeling tired and pissed, I throw the blanket to one side I made my way to bed. Entering the entryway, I freeze. The doll wasn't covered up and its head was facing me.

Grabing the doll, I run up the stairs with spread. Opening the child bedroom door, I throw the doll in a small rocking chair.

I make my way next doir. Banging my fist on the wood. I wait for Alice. But she doesn't answer. There was no noise, only a cold draft coming from the gap at the bottom.

'Alice. If you play another joke on me once more, you will not live another day.'