f o u r

"it doesn't make any sense!" Mark complained.

He was currently pacing back and forth in his bedroom while his friend, johnny, watched him with a confused and slightly concerned expression on his face.

"People change, Mark. You can't expect them to stay the same forever," Johnny said. He was one of Mark's closest friends. Johnny was a few years older, but he had come to care about Mark just as an older brother would.

"I know, it's just, they changed so much that I don't even think they're the same person anymore." Mark sighed, "I would've thought that after so many years we would've been able to reconnect."

"People will grow apart, it's human nature." Johnny reasoned.

Mark stood still, looking out the window for nothing in particular. "I just thought that they would at least talk to me, you know?"

Johnny nodded, "I know it's hard. They sound like the most amazing childhood friends ever, but maybe it's time to move on and make some new ones." Johnny hesitated, "I could introduce you to some of my friends if you want?" he suggested.

Mark nodded. "thanks," he said, taking a seat next to Johnny.

Mark would never admit it out loud, but he didn't want to make new friends. The dreamies were his only family when he was younger and it was just hard to accept the fact that they weren't anymore.

Over all those years that he hadn't seen them, Mark still had hope, a little sliver of faith that they would all be able to reunite again. But now, all of that hope was drained, gone, and never to be seen again.

"didn't you say you were able to reconnect with one of them? I think you said his name was Chenle?" johnny asked.

Mark nodded. "yeah."

He was able to get Chenle's number before he left, thankful that at least one person seemed happy to see him. The two had both left the party with promises to hang out again which Mark was overly grateful for.

"Maybe he'll be a bigger help than me, I'm probably not the best at understanding." johnny said with a sigh.

"No, you've been a really big help, thanks a lot hyung," Mark replied genuinely.

Johnny smiled. "no problem," he answered.

Mark picked up his phone, seeing two new text messages from Chenle.

Chenle
wanna hang out tomorrow?
I'm already bored

Mark laughed. It was only the second day of summer but of course, Chenle was already bored.

Mark quickly responded with 'sure' and a thumbs-up emoji.

Even if the other dreamies didn't want to see him, maybe he could still become good friends with Chenle again.

Maybe he could still gain back that tiny sliver of hope.

-☆-

Renjun leaned back in his chair, staring back at the painting on the easel. It was good, really good for anyone who didn't have an artistic eye. But to Renjun, it still needed work.

The boy picked up his paintbrush again, working to get every little detail perfect.

That was Renjun. He had always told himself that if he was going to take the time to paint, why would he waste it on something that's not good enough? Every piece of artwork he had ever made had to be flawless, even if it took forever to do.

Maybe that wasn't the only reason though.

He knew that a part of him just wanted to gain some sort of attention from his foster parents. A smile, a laugh, or even the tiniest compliment would make his day.

When Renjun got adopted ten years ago, he felt as if he was living in a dream. Everything was just as he had imagined it. Everything was amazing.

up until a few years ago.

His parents had started fighting.

It had started out small, about stupid things. Renjun kept telling himself that it would get better eventually, but over time it had only escalated.

His parents had practically cut him out of their life, only talking to him when it was absolutely necessary.

And anyone can imagine how hard that must've been for Renjun. He longed for those days when he would come home from school, show his mom a moomin drawing, and even though it was terrible, his mom would still answer with, "It's beautiful."

He waited for the day his parents would stop fighting, but it never came.

Even at the party his dad took him to, he only smiled or talked to Renjun when any of his coworkers were around. But it didn't take a genius to see through those fake smiles.

He had seen Mark at the party too.

There was so much Renjun wanted to say to him, but he just couldn't find the right words. He kept arranging and rearranging each sentence and by the time he was done, Mark had already left.

He knew it was his fault but he didn't want to say the wrong thing. Mark might've thought that he wasn't good enough, just like his parents did.

Just then he heard his phone vibrate from his desk. Renjun sighed and reached for it, turning it on to a new notification.

His eyes widened in shock.

---

RIDIN IS OUT I ACTUALLY SCREAMED IT WAS THE DEFINITION OF PERFECTION IM NOT EVEN KIDDING IT WAS SO GOOD

I'm so proud of them😭😭😭

Plz support them on this comeback!!! They deserve it so much!!!💚