Chapter 40: Atlantis

40. Atlantis

I entered a courtyard, hobbling forward on my twisted ankle, with a huge, old grey castle towering above me. The sky was a depressing grey, and the clouds covered the sun. The courtyard was empty, and the garden in the centre looked unkempt as the dying plants struggled to survive in the yellowed grass. I frowned while I carelessly wiped away the bead of blood that was trailing down my chin.

This wasn’t how I had picture a mythical city, straight out of legends. On the left wall was an opening, and I limped toward it unthinkingly as I heard the sounds of chatter.

I peeped around the wall, and gasped as I looked down onto a huge city. There was a sloping path that led to the cobbled streets from where I was stood. The buildings were like nothing I’d ever seen before. They were obviously built in Greek style, some with grand pillars and statues before them. All were made from white brick.

A huge building that resembled the Parthenon in modern-day Greece stood at the heart of the city, though this one was untouched by time. I could see people going in and out of it.

That was the next thing I noticed. The mortals below were all dressed in various styles of togas. The colour of togas ranged from plain white to bright colours, and I even spotted a banana-yellow one amongst the crowds of people who were going about their daily business without a care in the world.

At least, that’s what it seemed like at first, but when I studied the faces of the civilians, there was a trace of fear and worry under their fake smiles.

I heard a door slam, and turned to see Thor coming out of the same door I had. He looked weary, and battle-worn, with rips in his armour and a tired look in his eyes. He noticed me, and his face broke into a relieved smile. I jogged up to him, wincing as I put pressure on my left foot, and hugged him lightly.

“You passed too,” I smiled, relieved, but I still worried about Diana and Tony. Thor nodded, shrugging his shoulders slightly.

“It was easy. A task fit for even a mortal.”

“So I assume you figured out how to kill the Hydra?” I asked innocently, and he looked confused.

“How did you know?”

“It’s a long story,” I hedged, and he accepted this.

“Where are the others?”

“Diana and Tony haven’t come out yet,” I replied, worry clear in my voice, but Thor looked surprisingly unconcerned.

“They’ll be fine,” He assured me.

We waited for half an hour, and I was too nervous to make conversation. I was beginning to feel the effects of my healing power as the little cuts on my face begin to stitch together, but my twisted ankle stayed the same. That would need a little more time. Eventually the door opened once more. This time it was Diana, who was grinning triumphantly.

“That was a piece of cake,” She informed us before I could ask, and I smiled back happily.

Ok, only Tony left now.

We waited.

And waited.

The castle remained unchanging, and no one approached us. The door remained shut tightly, no indication that there was anyone inside.

I began to pace, releasing my nervous energy. I stopped when I remembered the evil-Eldrid’s pacing.

The sky was beginning to darken, and I bit my lip nervously.

“What if he’s-” I began, and was cut off as the door finally opened.

Tony came forward, staggering slightly and looking ill. There was a haunted look in his eyes, and his armour was battered. He was trembling faintly too.