Chapter 26: Construction

If someone were to look underwater right now, I'm sure they'd have a few questions. First and foremost would likely be about the giant field of spiderwebs-on-sticks that I've gathered.

When I went back to start collecting webs, I decided that I may as well just take everything in sight so I was sure to have enough. I doubt whatever made those webs will be very happy but I can definitely say they're being used for a good cause.

The second thing they'd be asking is why it looks like a shark is making a house.

That, of course, is because that's exactly what I'm doing.

I've been working for a while now, and I can finally say that I think the walls are tall enough. All that remains is the mystery of what I'm going to do about the roof. Normally I'd think wood was the obvious solution. The only problem is that not only does wood float, it also rots faster when exposed to water. I don't think I'll be using this place for very long but in the off-chance that I do stay I don't want to be constantly replacing the roof.

I'd use the big rocks I tried to make into a lean-to, but I don't have any supports to stop them from falling and I don't know if the walls will support their weight. I did my best, but unless I completely coat the outside of my house in webbing to mesh it together then there's no guarantee the walls won't just fall apart.

I glance at the amount of webbing I still have. I definitely have enough, but if I did that then everything would get stuck to the walls all the time.

Ideally, I'd like a nice big slam of stone large enough to cover the entire roof, but that's just wishful thinking.

My only other option is going to be to use the spare rocks and webs to try and make something, then hope it doesn't fall in on me. I don't feel like taking that bet, but the thought of using the webbing to construct a roof is still a good idea.

I take a moment to think about it, and come to a decision. If stuff gets stuck to the walls, it gets stuck. I'll have to just coat the webbing in mud or something later.

I take out one of the rolls of webbing and start from the top, painstakingly adding another layer of glue all around the outside of the walls. As I do this, I notice the sun getting higher and higher in the sky. It's almost noon. Considering I started this at sunset, it's taken me a while.

I had managed to catch some sleep after I collected all of the webbing, but I've been working on this since I woke up.

Making a house is certainly time-consuming. I'd hoped to gain a skill to help me out with it by now, but no such luck.

I continue swimming about my makeshift house, covering it in the sticky webbing until I'm satisfied. I look at the discard pile of sticks before my eyes drift over to the amount of torch-like rolls of webs I still have.

I'm down to less than half of what I started with. This is taking a lot more than I thought it would.

I hope I don't have to go take a trip and restock my webbing anytime soon.

Well then... now for the roof.

I swim over to rock number one, taking a moment to consider what I'm about to do.

So how am I going to do this?

Well, I might as well start by balancing it on the walls while I go get the other rock. Actually making these two stay where I put them is going to be an interesting task. Having thumbs would certainly help, but so would having some assistance. It would be ideal if I had another set of hands helping me out in setting these up, but no such luck.