20

It was a procession of the blind leading the blind. It truly was a sad sight to see, by now Arthur was sitting up in his bed watching the soldiers blinded by gas walking along the corridor.

He was in hospital, and in England. How he managed to get here along with Captain Nicholls and Percy was a complete and utter mystery. He wasn't about to contradict it, he was glad if anything to be in familiar England surroundings.

Looking down at himself he snorted. He was in awful shape, not that he was surprised considering the never ceasing fire of German machine guns. Arthur jolted and shuddered at the remembrance of what happened. A nurse had told him that he and his two companions had been unconscious for three days. Through exhaustion and blood loss they just hadn't woken up.

In fact Arthur was the first of the three to wake up. He had asked a nurse if there were any others that came in with the cavalrymen. The nurse had been less than helpful and answered yes, that was all he got, was a yes. As far as he could see Tommy wasn't here, nor was Major Stewart or Lieutenant Waverly. He had been hopeful but his hope didn't last long.

Three days turned into four, four turned in five, on the fifth day Percy woke up kicking and screaming beside him. Admittedly Arthur jumped from the sudden activity. He wasn't exactly expecting that. Reaching out and pushing the curtain which parted the two aside he watched as nurses tried to still his frantic movements. Eventually they stilled his movements by placing a white cloth over his nose and mouth, Percy kicked one last time then fell still.

The room Arthur and his two companions were in seemed to be a large hall. Not exactly a hospital, more like a makeshift one. There were many beds which ran up and down the walls of the hall. From his position Arthur managed to count almost twenty-five beds being in here. He was sure there were others in another room though.

Using his arm which wasn't heavily bandaged, Arthur reached out and pushed the cover away from his legs. Each time he'd tried to move a nurse would appear and stop him. Apparently he was in no fit state to move.

Arthur couldn't help but scoff at this. Compared to other men in the room he looked like one of few who was in all right shape. His wrist had been fixed in place with some sort of hard plastic and had a lot of bandages wrapped around it. The bandages continued to run up his arm and across his chest, then down to his stomach. His legs though were in the best condition, apart from a bandaged ankle.

Successfully managing to get out of bed without being stopped he hobbled over and stood next to Percy. He wasn't in such good shape. He had bandages around his head and around one eye. Much like himself there were bandages around his arms and chest. His legs were outlined from the cover, only one leg was full, the other ended at the knee.

Before Arthur could even go and see his Captain a nurse intercepted his path and led him back to bed. "How are you meant to heal if you keep moving about, hm?" The nurse questioned, Arthur hadn't answered and looked back to the corridor.

More blind leading the blind appeared only the queue was being led by a familiar figure. Jumping from the bed Arthur stumbled forward and fell to the floor.

The nurse from earlier scolded him and with help from a doctor got him back into bed. Arthur tried explaining to them that he knew one of the people in the queue beyond the door.

In a stern tone the doctor had said they were all going to be here for a long while so he could be more than willing to visit his comrades tomorrow.

----

"What's it like, Nurse Blake?"

"It's rather plain," Dot answered back, Harry's grip on her shoulder loosened. "There are paintings on the wall. The rooms nearby are all lined with beds." She spoke loud enough for some of the men behind her to hear. "All in all it looks like a rather pleasant place to recover." She nodded and watched a nurse approach her. "Hello I'm Dorothy Blake."

"It's nice to meet you," the nurse smiled. "Lucy Court." Dot smiled as best she could. Although Lucy could obviously see it was faked.

"Follow me," Lucy said while turning on her heels and walking into a large hall. One by one they helped the blind men settle down in their beds.

"Nurse Blake, are you going to be working here now?" Harry asked while reaching his hand out, Dot reached up and held lightly onto it.

"I believe so."

"That's good," Harry smiled. It was the first time she'd properly seen him smile. "That place was too harsh for someone as nice as you."

"Thank you, Harry, get some sleep." Dot patted his hand and stepped back. Lucy looked over her and nodded in the direction of the doorway.

"You are to stay here then if you are to work here." Lucy smiled, "Let us find you a spare bed." Dot put her hands in her apron pockets and walked slowly after her. Lucy didn't press her for a conversation which she was most grateful of.

"Wait!"

"Not you again, sir you really must-"

"Shh," Dot stared wide eyed as she turned with tears building. "Oh my God, Dorothy?"

"Arthur?" Dot took a step forward and shook her head. "You're dead."

"No," Arthur corrected her with a grin. "I'm rather alive." This information although blatantly true caused blackness to seep into Dot's vision and she crumpled to the floor.

"Sir, will you please get back to bed while I sort out your friend?"

"She's a little more than a friend, she's my sister. But yes, sure I shall return to bed." Arthur mused and hobbled off again.

----

(Edited: 29/August/2019)