29

"Dotty, you are slowly turning into one of those nurses who won't leave me alone. Is there something you're not telling me?" Charlie winked, Dot looked at him and frowned.

"Charlie, leave Dorothy alone," Jamie muttered from his bed. Much like James, Jamie was the only person to call her by her full name. Dot thought that trying to look after Arthur and Percy was enough of a handful. But Charlie and Jamie were just as bad.

Charlie would be his usual self, and Jamie would sit silently and every so often say something. Usually Jamie spoke only to silence Charlie, and then Charlie would retort something back before all went silent.

"Would you two like to go for a walk?" Dot question suddenly, Jamie and Charlie looked up at her. "What? Gets you out of the ward, it's not like you're seriously injured and unable to walk around."

"Free rein," Charlie said excitedly while rubbing his hands.

Dot sighed and shook her head. "No, you do not have free rein of the hospital, Charlie. You can either visit other patients or go outside."

"Not much choice really is there?"

"I think she's suggesting we go visit James."

"I am suggesting that, I'm so glad someone picked up on it." Dot smiled.

"Is he all right?" Jamie questioned while slowly swinging his legs over the bed and sitting for a moment. He was trying to adjust from laying to sitting, his head was swimming lightly and admittedly it felt like he was about to pass out.

"Well, he's better after seeing you two. But I think he's getting driven mad by Percy and Arthur's constant childish bickering." Dot would be the first to admit that her brother and her friend bickered like little children now and again.

Unfortunately for James his bed was sitting about a pace away from Arthur's and he really had no option but to sit and listen. Of course there was the odd time where he did tell them to be quiet.

"And you think us two appearing is going to honestly make it better?" Charlie asked, Dot looked at him and smiled. "There's a slightly evil side to you, Nurse Blake I thought I should tell you."

"Come on then, Charlie, quit laying around let's go." Jamie said while clapping his hands together and standing up.

Charlie muttered to himself for a few moments before slowly pushing himself up and out of bed. Much like Jamie, he had to sit for a minute or so until his head stopped swimming. "May I ask when we're likely to be let out?"

"Not long I don't think." Dot said while walking out of the room and down the small corridor. She had to admit she wasn't sure when they'd be let out.

Even before they got to the other ward Arthur and Percy's bickering could be heard. The two soldiers and the nurse exchanged a look. Charlie and Dot smiled up at Jamie and nodded their heads swiftly in the direction of the door.

"Go get 'em, Major." Dot saluted alongside Charlie, who thought he'd join in saluting for the heck of it.

Jamie rolled his eyes and Dot and Charlie tried hard not to laugh when he walked as sternly as he could into the room and instructed Arthur and Percy to sit down and be quiet. From their position in the corridor, Charlie and Dot peered around the door and then leaned away.

Sitting on their beds looking a little bewildered were the bickering pair, James on the other hand looked so relieved to see his friend appear, and seemingly save the day. A second later Charlie burst out laughing, his laughter made Dot start laughing too and the pair leaned against the wall for support.

----

Dot passed the ward several times while on her shift and each time she walked past smiling happily. It made her happy to see the cavalrymen reunited, if only the reunion involved five out of the hundreds.

"Dorothy, are you all right?" Blinking confused she looked up at James. Who was standing a little hunched over with one arm wrapped around his stomach.

"I think I should be asking you that," she said while turning away from the window and putting her hands on his shoulders.

"I'm fine."

"Liar," she smiled and led him back into the ward, she helped him back onto the bed and sat down. James looked at her worriedly considering she never answered his question. She smiled and held onto his hand, "I'll tell you later."

"Oh!" Charlie exclaimed while leaning in between the two. "What's this huh? When did this happen hm?"

"It happened a while ago," Arthur answered. "Like...before we got shipped out to France."

"Aw," Charlie said a little sarcastically. James and Dot looked at each other and then at their friend who was still standing crouching in between them and leaning against the bed. Every so often Charlie would look at their entwined hands and grin and wink at either of them.

"Charlie, leave them alone, James looks like he's about to hit you over the head." Jamie stated obviously, and truthfully. James had narrowed his eyes slightly down at the dark haired man at his side.

Finally getting the hint Charlie let out a nervous sounding laugh and moved away, not before patting them both on the shoulder. This action caused James to wince from pain and Dot just looked at him before seeing if James was all right.

----

(Edited: 29/August/2019)