Chapter 14 The Arrival

When I woke up I didn't feel too bad, but then I remembered what happened before I went to sleep and I gasped.

"My baby!" My eyes jolted open as I looked around.

I heard the voice of the doctor, "Calm down, you can the baby are just fine. My nurse has her in the other room changing her clothes."

I sighed in relief, "So it's a girl?"

He nodded, "And she's absolutely adorable."

I smiled, I was genuinely excited to see her.

When the nurse stepped in she smiled when she saw I was awake. So she carefully placed her I'm my arms.

Tears started to well up in my eyes, I can't believe I created something so beautiful. "Lalisa, your name is Lalisa."

The more I looked at her the more I noticed she looked like Minjun. How will I ever explain this. But I'll have to come up with something soon.

When I tried to get up it really hurt, so I stopped for a moment.

The doctor sighed, "You won't be able to do must physical labor for a few months."

"I see."

"Where are you headed, I can send you in a carriage so you don't have to ride your horse."

"Thank you, I'm headed to the emperors palace."

He looked confused, "You live in the palace?"

I nodded, "I'm a court lady."

"But what were you doing out here?"

"I was traveling to see family."

"I see, well Ill get my carriage."

When he came back to get me he helped me and Lalisa in the back. It definitely wasn't as nice as the palace carriage but it was comfy because it was filled with blankets and pillows.

While we rode I thought, maybe I can say it's my cousins baby and she's too sick to care for her.

I brought Lalisa up and I kissed her, "I love you, I promise I'll never let you get hurt."

When we finally got back to the town outside the palace I stopped the driver. "You can drop me off here in town."

"Are you sure?"

"Yea, we'll be fine." I took Lalisa and carefully stepped out and started walking.

I could see the palace gates but I wanted to walk around first before I go in.

I stopped at some stores and grabbed some blankets but when I finally was about to go inside, I grew nervous.

I walked up the steps and immediately they let me inside. No questions asked.

There wasn't that many people outside so I thought, I'll see if my room is still open.

I went to the palace of women and surprisingly my room hadn't changed since I had left it.

Well, what am I supposed to do? Do I just go back to my duties like normal?

-Kang Xi POV-

"I think we should hold auditions for more consorts. What do you think?" Said my mother.

But didn't even respond. Does she really think that's appropriate anyway, Hayoon is going to be back any day now with my child.

She sighed, "Kang Xi, speak, god damnit. The worse you get the more power Zhao Ren will have."

I didn't like the idea of that. But everything that I really cared for is gone. So there's no point in trying. Maybe when Hayoon is back with my child it'll lift my spirits.

So in the end I nodded to my mother.

She smiled, "Is that a yes to the consort auditions?"

I nodded again. I mean it's not like I'll say yes to them anyway.

She clapped her hand together, "Oh, isn't this exciting. I'll have the posters written right away."

When she went running out I sighed. I want my Wang Shu back. When I find her, I'm never letting her go.

-Wang Shu POV-

As the day went on I started to get a little bored of just being cooped up. I decided to walk around.

I wrapped Lalisa up in a blanket and held her close as I was outside.

When I had arrived it was quiet, but now people were running all over the place. What's going on, I thought.

I seen a group of women surrounding what appeared to be a poster someone stuck to the wall.

I went over and managed to squeeze myself through the crowd. The sign read.

The emperor is holding auditions for more consorts tomorrow evening. Any woman is welcome. Auditions will be held in the throne room at 10am.

Most of the women sighed and complained, "He wouldn't pick me anyway."

Another woman nodded, "Yea, the emperor has been real weird. He hasn't even spoken to anyone for months."

I looked confused, so he's gone mute? What could have happened to him?

My eyes then went wide, this is my chance.

I need to be able to take down the empress and consort is only one rank below empress. It would give me perfect leverage.

Quickly I started to head back to my room to prepare but someone called my name, "Wang Shu is that you?"

I turned around and seen Minjun heading towards me.

"Goodness that is you, where have you been."

"Oh, I had to be with family."

He nodded, "I see, wait, who's that?"

He pointed to Lalisa and my breath caught, "She's my cousins baby. She couldn't care for her, so I have her now. Her name is Lalisa."

"She's adorable." He put his hand up to her and she grabbed his fingers. How she looked at him was like she already knew that was her father.

He smiled, "Well, see you later Wang Shu, you too Lalisa."

As he left I sighed, I almost wanted to cry. But I can't. I went back over to the palace of women to prepare for tomorrow.

I still had some nice dresses left from when I still stayed here so I pulled them all out.

There was a blue and a purple one. The purple looked the best so I set it out for tomorrow.

But just then Lalisa started crying and I ran over to her, "What is it?" I was worried something was wrong but when I picked her up almost immediately she stopped and smiled.

"Awe, you're so sweet aren't you? Well, we probably need to go to bed."

I found a small box and put plenty of blankets in it. "This will do for now."

But when I sat her in it she started crying again, "Lalisa, please."

Eventually I took her and laid her in my bed with me and as I suspected, she stopped crying.

"You're going to be a momma's girl aren't you, but hopefully one day you'll have the chance to be a daddy's girl."