[12] time-bomb

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter twelve!
TIME-BOMB
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( frayed, pt

( frayed, pt. iii )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

VERA HAS HARDLY been outside of the bus for three minutes before a body barrels into her. She's forced to take a step back at the force, blinking in mild surprise before her brain recognizes the familiar weight of Dominic's hug. He embraces her like he can piece all of her broken parts back together again. She returns it just as intently, burying her face in his chest and forcing her face not to screw up in pain at the familiarity of his touch.

The hug lasts for several long moments before he pulls back just enough to hold her by the forearms. His own green eyes are glassy, shadows lurking beneath his eyes like he hadn't slept much the previous night.

"How are you?" he asks quietly as if he's afraid his voice will break if he speaks any louder.

Vera huffs a sardonic laugh, shaking her head. Her contacts shift in her eyes as she forces them not to water. "I don't know."

Dominic nods, rapidly blinking away his tears and wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his orange hoodie. He gives her arm a squeeze before stepping back and exhaling a shuddering breath. Somehow, seeing his reaction twists her gut more than her own grief. Next to Derek, Dom is the brother figure she's known the longest. He's feeling this loss almost as deeply as she is.

"Vera," the voice of Stiles softly calls. He appears out of nowhere to pull her into a hug as well, his tall and lanky frame caging her in. The action both surprises and pleases her, her heart swelling with appreciation for her friends as he pulls away.

Vera gives him a tiny lift of her lips. "Thanks."

He nods in response. Then he reaches out to pat Dominic on the back, pulling him into a sort of half-hug because Dominic is still trying very obviously to hold back his tears. "Hey, man. It'll be okay."

Vera clears her throat and glances around the parking lot near the bus. Almost all of the lacrosse players are here — the actual cross country team is big enough to fill an entire bus, so they're driving separately. Dominic had been among the few stragglers to volunteer to ride with Coach Finstock's team instead. Vera is immensely grateful for it; she doesn't know what she would have done if he hadn't been here to accompany her on this five-hour-long bus ride.

Something supernatural stirs in her gut. She turns to see Boyd arriving with his bag slung over a shoulder, expression nearly blank. He catches her eye and switches his gaze to Isaac. With a sigh puffing from his lips, he approaches them.