part ten

jj's pov

pope and i were finishing clearing the yard before kiara returned from dropping off hannah.

i couldn't get my mind off the brunette girl. how i truly despised her but for what reason?

or how i had saved her not once but twice, even with this nonsense grudge i hold against her. i couldn't help but let my mind wander to the reason she moved here from nassau and why she became so tense when i asked her about it.

there was obviously a lot about her that i didn't know, and no matter how much i told myself i didn't want to know about it, i truthfully did.

i wanted to know the secrets she seemed like she was keeping. i could spot a closed off person from a mile away, and i could tell she was one. her kind and bubbly personality was not able to fool me.

i could tell she had a past that made her more then just a kook princess, but to me that's all she will ever be.

and for god's sake, no matter how hard i tried i could not stop thinking about the way she looked in my hoodie, and i hated myself for it.

"you totally want to mack her," pope said, almost as if he was reading my mind.

"who?" i asked, even though i knew what he was talking about.

"hannah," he said.

"i do not want to mack her," i spat.

"totally do," pope continued, "saw it in your eyes when you got all up in her face last night."

"i swear to god," i said, giving pope a hard smack on the arm.

"can't deny the facts," he said, giving me an equally as hard jab to my bicep.

i turned around to hit him again when a voice interrupted me.

"boys," kiara said sternly, approaching us in the back of the yard. pope just snickered as i huffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"hannah's living with nadine harlyn," ki told us.

"like crazy kook nadine harlyn?" pope questioned.

"that's the one," she said, as she plopped down to join me on the hammock. "no parents either, just her and nadine."

pope and i gave each other the same weary glance before kiara spoke again.

"you better hope and pray that her parents aren't dead after the shit you pulled last night," she said.

"yeah, yeah," i only rolled my eyes at her comment which earned me another smack on the arm from ki.

we sat in our hammocks to discuss our plans for the rest of the summer. pope was on his scholarship bullshit again, kiara explained how she had big plans for the wreck, and i simply told them that i just wanted a relaxing summer.

we went on chatting, it finally felt like we were just your average teenagers enjoying summer. felt pretty good to be honest.

"hey i was thinking of having a party here on-"

suddenly pope's phone rang and he stood up to answer it.

"dad?"
"what? slow down"
"yeah yeah im with them?"
"okay we'll be there soon."

pope looked worried once he hung up, "that was my dad. he said we needed to get down to the coast guard right now. he seemed pretty frazzled."

kiara and i exchanged worried glances before getting up and piling into the van. we drove down as fast as we could.

"did he tell you anything else pope?"

"yeah like did he give you a reason?" ki asked.

"no just told me to come fast, didn't sound promising," pope said, keeping his eyes on the road as he pulled into the parking lot.

we quickly hopped out of the vehicle and ran towards a large crowd of people. i knew there would be a lot of people here the day after a hurricane but i certainly did not expect this much ruckus.

"dad, dad!" pope immediately saw his father and called for him.

that's when i began to hear it.

"-the boat"
"yeah i heard it's john b's-"
"-went down last summer"
"what a shame."

everyone there was saying john b's name. john b this and john b that, i soon developed a pit in my stomach.

"boy where the hell have you been," heyward scolded pope as we approached him.

"got stuck at jj's during the storm," pope said scratching the back of his neck. "what's going on, why all the commotion down here?"

heyward glanced at me, reading the expression on my face and he could tell i already knew what was going on.

"its john b," he spoke. "they found his boat."