Chapter 44: MIDNIGHT MIST

Ivar and Stacie settled for the night at the foot of the slope. As Ivar was checking the perimeter around them, he discovered a small stream nearby with clean water. They were able to clean up a bit after that fall, and Stacie to thoroughly brush her teeth and freshen up her mouth thanks to the portable hygiene necessities she had in her backpack. And boy did it feel good to get rid of that lingering foul aftertaste of her nausea. For which she was still very embarrassed that Ivar had to witness, even though he didn't seem like he was bothered by it at all. When in reality, he actually was really glad that was the only side effect she suffered and nothing worse happened to her because it was quite the tumble they took.

-Here you go. - Ivar offered her his nutrition snacks when she was done setting up her sleeping bag. - Since you threw up earlier, you must be famished. Those pallets will replenish you. They are most rich in nutrients, specifically made for soldiers in deployment, to keep them sustained and healthy.

-Thank you. - She took one. - Heh, you know, it's my first time trying something Satteran, food-wise. - She said as she took a bite of it.

-Well, I can't say it's something impressive, as those pallets are pretty much tasteless, but they do the job they were made for. - He replied.

-Yeah, I can tell... - Agreed Stacie, crunching down the snack that was neither sweet nor savory. Just pretty much tasted like a dry crouton without any seasoning. - Well, we actually have something similar too, though they are nearly not as sustainable as yours.

-I wish I had something tastier to offer you. Still, you better have a few to regain your strength. I'm going to set up a campfire. - He said and started clearing up space for it.

After he got a nice blaze going, Ivar sat on one of the large rocks by the fire, took off his outer coat, and started examining the cut on his arm. The wound was pretty big but not too deep. He rinsed it with water, then tried to wrap a piece of band-aid around it, struggling with it using one hand and his mouth.

-Let me help you with that. - Said Stacie, taking over the band-aid. - Trust me, this clumsy little weak earthling is capable of at least that much. - She added smilingly when he looked up at her with a slightly surprised expression.

-Is that so? - He teasingly cocked his head at her surrendering the piece of cloth. - You can absolutely guarantee I will not wake up with a missing arm tomorrow?

-I make no promises. - She playfully returned as she took out a few additional things from her first aid kit.

-Now I'm worried. - He replied with a chuckle, turning sideways so that his injured arm faced Stacie.

-I don't blame you. - She started working on his cut. - Normally, this kind of wound needs stitches, but unfortunately, it is something I can't do for you. I'll try my best to replicate it with those butterfly-closures instead. - She showed him the pack.

-I trust you. - He replied.

Using a piece of the cotton gauze slightly soaked with water, she properly cleaned and dried the wound. The gentle touch of her cool fingers felt really nice on his sensitive around the cut, skin. After she thoroughly dried it off, she carefully spritzed it a couple of times with antiseptic spray and a sudden burning sting made him flinch, tightening his muscles. Suddenly, he felt a very soft, cooling sensation that soothed the pain in an instant and felt so pleasant, it gave him a rush of goosebumps. Stunned, he turned to find Stacie's face so close to his arm, gently blowing on the wound. Awe-struck, he stared at her focused face and slightly perked up lips while her cool breath chased the pain away, making his heartbeat quicken. After disinfecting the wound, she applied some ointment on it, stitched it up with adhesive butterfly-strips, and bandaged it up, tightly wrapping the gauze around it.