Prologue

Silvery fish flashed through the bright glow that the pack of hunters gave off as they swam in a tight formation. At the head of it was the brightest of the group who flexed her back fins to turn the darting merfolk upwards into the open waters. As they gradually put distance between them and the rocky trench below, the natural light from above made the large swarms of fish visible to their sharp eyes. With a single firm (Split.) spread between their connected mental link, each of the seven figures rolled apart and began swimming tight circles around each mass of potential food. Two of the smaller individuals flashed quick yellow and red glows before moving towards each other to guide a swell of Tuna down towards the darker waters where a dozen or so merfolk waited patiently for their moment to strike. As soon as they were within distance, the sharp claws and carved stone spears lashed outwards and began killing and collecting as many of the strong fish as possible before retreating down to the bottom of the trench to store their catch on a large rocky shelf.

        Above their heads the dark tail of one of the larger merfolk curved effortlessly around a pair of spear billed fish that thrashed out in failed attempts at piercing his scales and skin. Occasionally, reaching out with his pointed nails, he'd tear a long strip out of one of the fishes' tails or fins until they could only awkwardly roll around in hopes of a possible escape. Their hope was short lived though as he wrapped his tail around them and gave lethal bites to each of their exposed throats. Heaving each of them under his taut forearms, he beat his tail until the sun's light slowly disappeared and was taken over by his pale white glow.

        Soon, the four remaining merfolk joined his side with their own prize catches held close to their chests. The leader of the pack teasingly swam circles around the large male and showed off the small dolphin clutched between her hands.

(I got it Mekeia. You caught a dolphin. Now stop swimming around me. You're gonna make me dizzy before we even get back to the tribe.) He grumbled through their mind link, but despite the angry energy of his words, amusement hinted behind them.

(This is why I am the alpha sibling, Rivulet) She gloated, not picking up on his sarcasm.

(You are not the alpha. Just because you got to swim in the front this time doesn't make you in charge. We're a family unit. There is no need for a leader. You just happened to be useful for this hunt because of your glow.) He scolded her and sent sideways glances at his other siblings. When her eyes closed slightly at his words and her fins stopped standing as straight, he shook his head and swam below her where his parallel back spines could brush fondly against her stomach. (You did amazing though, we'd be lucky to have you as our leader.)

        At his reassurance she puffed up proudly and gave a small happy spin. She pushed her appreciation through the link and warmth spread through him because of it.

(Meet us at the food shelf.) Rivulet's brother, Jeriko, beckoned from below in the dark where dots of light spread out across the ocean floor.

        Coming over the edges of the trench, the siblings dived down deeper. The two walls of stone rose steadily on either side of the group until the merfolk slowed to a stop just shy of a now fish covered rock surrounded by protective boulders and coral. Pairs of brightly glowing bodies moved side by side to clean and sort the new stores of food brought down by the family group.

        A neon red glow flashed in three short bursts and beckoned Rivulet to spiral over the food and come face to face with the small merfolk in front of him.

(Jeriko. Did Terre make it down safely with you?)

(Of course. She and I are the best tag team around. If anything, I should be asking you if you kept track of the four others.) Jeriko snickered through the link and swam forwards to wrap his tail happily around his brother's waist.