Chapter One

At exactly 6:02 a.m., the sun pokes its rays between the brightly colored curtains of Annie Rapinni's bedroom. Her eyes flutter open and, without hesitation, she jumps up, excited and ready for another day. 

Feet planted on her bed, hands on her hips, she looks towards the closet that holds her costumes and thinks, "What am I gonna be today?"

"I could be a princess," she says, tapping her hands on her hips. "But that won't work. Daddy still has to fix my crown."

Frowning, she turns her head toward the chair in the corner of the room where brown, furry material hangs over the back.

"I guess I could be a monkey." Annie's hands go to her stomach as she groans a little. "But I ate 10 bananas yesterday, and mommy said maybe I shouldn't be a monkey again for a while."

Determined, she turns back to the closet and, at that very moment, the wind blows through the window and the brightly colored curtains fly up in the air, startling her. Annie jumps like a cricket, catches her foot in the sheet and tumbles to the floor in a pile of pillows and blankets. In an instant, she's back on her feet, hands on her hips and laughing. She's going to figure out what to be for the day, and a little wind isn't going to stop her. Just then, another gust blows through the window, carrying the curtains up like a cape. Annie's eyes widen with a jolt of inspiration.

Quickly, Annie grabs her pillow, yanks off the pillowcase and tucks it into the neck of her pajama top, creating a cape. Then, placing herself in front of the mirror, while a drum roll plays in her mind, she declares: "Today, I'm gonna be a superhero!"