Chapter Two

Annie begins practicing her moves all over her room—running and jumping in delight. Dashing back to her closet, she finishes off her costume with a t-shirt, shorts, and her favorite dark green "KA-PLINK KA- PLUNK" rain boots. After all, every superhero has special boots.

Everything in place, she wonders what else she might need. Bam! It hits her just like that. A superhero needs a badge—some kind of trademark that represents her. Annie bolts over to her desk and, rummaging through the drawers, she digs up the perfect thing: a tiny, shiny, green sticker in the shape of a star. It's simple, but it's perfect. Annie peels the paper backing off and sticks it to her forehead, right between her eyes. There—right there—it will bring her special powers that allow her to see what others can't.

Ready for the world, Annie dashes over to the mirror and admires every angle of her wonderful work. "Perfect! I look absolutely perfect!"

Annie turns away from the mirror and quickly jumps back. This time she doesn't see her reflection. This time she sees Superhero Annie Rapinni running up the side of a mountain at lightning speed to where a bus is teetering on the edge of a cliff. Seizing the back of the bus, and pulling with all of her might, she brings it back to safety.

As the passengers climb from the bus, they're chanting her name: "Annie! Annie! Annie!"—cheering for the entire world to hear—all the way to China.

No, wait! It's her mother! "Annie! Annie! PLEASE come eat your BREAKFAST!"

Snapping back to reality, Annie grabs her pocket pouch off the doorknob and quickly checks the contents. Luckily for her, it's already filled with everything a superhero needs: a secret signaling tool, a golden lasso, a key that opens every door, and a magic wand.

Ready for a day full of superheroing, Annie throws her cape over her shoulder, lifts her head with pride, and KA-PLINK KA-PLUNKS down to the kitchen.