Chapter IX- Extraction

After Sharkface was taken care of, the team made their way to the roof. After Carolina, Wash and Del left the elevator, and the doors shut, York smashed the controls.

"There. That oughta hold them for a while." York said.

Then a single line of heat appeared on the door. They were cutting through.

"Okay, maybe not." York sighed.

York then noticed that Maine wasn't with the group.

"Hey," York said, tapping Del's shoulder. "Where's Maine?"

"Downstairs." Del answered. "Keeping our hosts occupied."

"Man..." York breathed. "I almost feel bad for them."

"That's what I said!" Del laughed.

"479er, this is Team Alpha." Carolina reported. "We need evac on the roof of the tower."

"Roger that." 479er replied. "I'm on it!"

"Come on," York said, pointing the team to The Sarcophagus. "It's up... here..."

The team stopped just before their objective when they saw Texas kneeling before a device she had planted on the ground.

"You." Carolina growled. "What're you doing here?"

Carolina then saw the device that Tex had just set down.

"Is that a bomb?" Carolina asked.

Tex didn't answer.

"I knew it!" Carolina said, pointing at Tex accusingly. "It was you who blew up the oil platform!"

"That thing blew up?" Wash asked.

"Somebody's been covering our tracks." Carolina replied. She turned back to Tex. "You're on the roster too, but they hid your name. Why did they send you?"

"Hey," Del interjected. "Hate to bust up the reunion here, but we got a problem."

As if on cue, Insurrectionist soldiers led by a man in ODST armor holding a shotgun came bursting out onto the roof.

"Let's go! Go, go , go! Now!!" The ODST urged. "Get into position! Completely surround them! No one gets behind me!"

The team all raised their weapons, except for Tex, who didn't seem to have any, but dropped them when the ODST told them to do so. They were surrounded.

"You! Dickhead!" The ODST said, pointing his weapon at York. "Disarm the bomb!"

"Easy, easy!" York said, trying to ease the situation. "No reason to get all dramatic, okay? Let me take a crack at it."

"Yeah! Just fuckin' do it, already!" The ODST snapped.

"Easy! Easy, man!" York said. He picked up the device and analyzed it for a minute.

Carolina and Del took the opportunity to blend in to the crowd.

"Uh... this isn't a bomb. It's a transmitter." York reported.

"Alright, it's not a bomb." The ODST assured his men before realizing what the device actually was and turning back to face York.

"Wait, a transmitter? What's it transmitting?"

"Our location." York answered before looking to the sky.

"Why would it do that?" The ODST asked.

________________________________
Mother of Invention Bridge

Above the planet, The Mother of Invention was homing in on the transmitter's signal.