Chapter 5 - Strike fight

When we arrived back in Manhattan, the others were waiting for us. "Jack. So, where's Spot?" Race asked. Jack sighed as he and I sat down. "He was concerned about us being serious. You imagine that?" "Well, Jack, maybe we ought to ease off a little. Without Spot and the others, there ain't enough of us, Jack." Race said. I stared at them for a second before jumping up. "So this is just a gave to you? Youse doin exactly what makes Spot not wanna join us." 

David looked around at us, and started singing. 

"Open the gates and seize the day
Don't be afraid and don't delay
Nothing can break us No one can make us
Give our rights away
Arise and seize the day!"

The others looked around at each other then joined in. 

"Now is the time to seize the day
Send out the call and join the fray."

"Wrongs will be righted if we're united" David sang alone before everyone joined in again. 

"Let us seize the day!
Friends of the friendless seize the day
Raise up the torch and light the way
Proud and defiant
We'll slay the giant
Let us seize the day."

"Neighbor to neighbor
Father to son
One for all and all for one!
Open the gates and seize the day
Don't be afraid and don't delay
Nothing can break us
No one can make us
Give our rights away
Neighbor to neighbor
Father to son!
One for all and all for one!"

The circulation bell then began ringing. Jack jumped up and called out; "Anybody hear that?" In retaliation, all of us yelled; "No!" I stood next to Jack and called out; "So what are we gonna do about it?" "Soak 'em!" The boys yelled. We all then ran in front of the gates where the scabbers were. The first three joined us, but when we got to the fourth he just tries to get by. After his second try Jack hits his papers out of his hands and an all out brawl starts. 

I pulled my stick out and began using it to hit people's hands so they drop their papers. The scabbers run away, but we all stay behind, tearing up the papers. 

"Cheeze it, It's the Bulls!" Jack yelled. We all start running away apart from Crutchy who's sitting on the ground, happily tearing up papers. 

"Crutchy! Run!" I yelled at him. This time hears me, but its too late as the cops are in front of him and the Delancy brothers behind, kicking his crutch and dragging him away. 

I watch helplessly for a moment as my friend gets pulled away before turning and running so they don't catch me too.