Chapter 12 - We won

As I entered the lodging house, I could almost feel the hopelessness of the place. Most of the boys were already in bed, none of them having the will to stay up, despite the fact the sun was only setting now. 

I walked upstairs to see Race and Mush waiting on my bed. They turned to me when I came in. I walked over, and sat down in between them on my bed. "Hey guys." I whispered. Race enveloped me in a hug, Mush joining in a moment later. And I felt my walls finally break down. I felt the tears streaming down my face as I squeezed my eyes shut, trying my best to not make too much noise. 

Jack Kelly, Francis Sullivan, no matter what he went by, my brother didn't love me any more. I knew that being related wasn't where the love originated, It was because of everything we'd been through. We were always there for each other, no matter what stupid thing the other did, be it me in the orphanage, or Jack in the refuge. 

My brother was gone. 

I fell asleep after a while, tiring myself out with crying. When I woke up, I was lying down on my bed with a blanket over me, still in the clothes I borrowed from Spot. My hat and Stick were lying on the ground next to my bed. I sat up and looked around to see the other boys mostly still asleep. 

I changed into new clothes, and left the lodging house to go meet Davey.

.

.

.

As I was walking through Manhattan, I heard a voice that sounded like Sarah shouting. Then I heard David asking Les if  he was okay. I rushed down the street to find David and Sarah trying to fight off the Delancy brothers. Enraged, I rushed over to help, smacking one of them in the arm with my stick when he tried to grab Sarah. 

I heard David grunt, and turned to see him get punched in the stomach by Morris, causing me to cry out his name. I was about to go help him when Oscar grabbed my arms and held them behind me. I strugled like crazy, but he just wouldn't let go, leaving me unable to Help David. I saw Morris putting brass knuckles on his right hand, a sickening grin on his face. 

Then Jack came out of nowhere, and pushed Morris off of David, punching him in the face. I snapped my head back into Oscars face, causing him to cry out and let go of me. I spun around and punched him in the nose, right where I had just hit him, causing him to fall backwards onto a box. Jack punched Morris, causing him to land a foot from his brother. 

I turned around to look at Jack and David, who were staring at each other before Davey finally speaks. "What? You just couldn't stay away?" He asked Jack, clearly still mad at him. Jack shrugged. "Well, I guess I can't be something I ain't." He said. I raised an eyebrow. "What, a scab?"

Jack gave me a small smile. "No, smart. Or a liar." I stared at him as he walked over to me. "I'm sorry Joss. I didn't mean any of what I said the other day, and I hope that youse can forgive me someday." I stared for a moment before slapping him in the face.

"Ow!" He exclaimed in surprise. 

"If you ever say anything like that to me, I will cut off your head and parade around New York with it on my stick." I told him. "I'll forgive you in a few weeks." Jack smiled weakly at me. "Thank you sis." 

.

.

.

That night I helped Jack, David, Les, Sarah, and Denton with printing out the papers. When the last pile was finished I set out to Brooklyn with one, handing papes out to any child labor kid on my way, making sure I saved one for Spot. I walked as fast as I could to the docks, where I could already see Spot sitting on the top of his box pile.