part eleven

hannah's pov

i decided to ride my skateboard around town since i was bored after kiara dropped me off.

as i was riding past the coast guard i realized a big crowd has gathered at the building. there were people shouting, whispering, and just standing around waiting.

i decided to pick up my board and slither my way through the crowd to eavesdrop on what was going on.

"yeah john b-"
"-almost a year ago"
"the boat the went missing-"
"-dead."

there were so many hushed conversations everywhere i turned, my head was spinning but the only thing i could focus on was a name i had heard.

john b.

i remember kiara saying it yesterday in the room but i can't exactly remember the context of it.

i stepped into a small clearing away from the crowd to take a deep breathe, all of the commotion was making me quite anxious.

"hey do you know what this is all about?" a voice suddenly said from behind me.i turned around to face a tall boy, a brunette with green eyes

"i'm sorry no," i answered him.

he simply nodded as a response and then reached out his hand towards me, "im henry."

"hannah," i said, shaking his hand.

"have you lived here a while?" he asked me.

"um no actually i just moved here a week or two ago," i replied.

"really?" he said with a grin on his face, "me too. kind of nice to know someone who hasn't lived their whole lives here."

i chuckled softly, "seems to be about everyone in this town."

i couldn't help but admire the boy standing in front of me. he was extremely put together, his hair was curly but tamed, his teeth were white, his clothes crisp.

"well we have each other now," he said and winked at me. i turned towards the crowd to hide my now rosy complexion due to blushing from his comment.

that's when i noticed a familiar mop of blonde hair in the crowd, and an extremely panicked complection that belonged to it. for some reason the look on his face made my stomach drop.

"i've heard all sorts of rumors about what happened last summer, apparently this chaos is in correlation to it," henry stated, returning my mind back to his presence.

"rumors?" i questioned. i hadn't heard anything about last summer, but i'd also only talked to about 4 different people since being here which included three pogues who hated my guts.. and topper.

"yeah, apparently a bunch of crazy shit went down," he said. i hummed in response.

"where do you live? if you don't mind me asking," i questioned.

"what? do i not look like enough of a kook to you to figure that out?" he chuckled.

"oh no don't tell me they've taken you to the dark side with this whole kooks verses pogues thing too," i exclaimed.

"no no don't worry i was just joking, i don't really understand it either," he said, smiling.

i turned my head back towards the crowd to see if i could hear anymore conversation, and also to see if i could spot jj again.

my eyes laid on pope first who looked like he was having a heated conversation with an older man, i assumed was his dad.

next i saw kiara who was biting her nails as she talked to one of the coast guards.

lastly i laid my gaze among the blonde boy, and almost as if he could sense my stare, his eyes met mine.

his jaw clenched immediately at the sight of me and then his gaze went to something behind me that made him furrow his brows and tense even more.

i let my eyes follow his stare and realized he was looking at henry, the boy still standing behind me.

i turned back around to him, "it was really nice meeting you henry."

"you too, hope to see you around soon," he said and i offered him a small smile before he walked away.

i looked back to see if jj was still staring but he had now involved himself into the conversation between the coast guard and kiara.

i decided to leave the rest of the story up to my imagination, for now at least. knowing me, the mysteries of this town would drive me bonkers and i would have to do some snooping around in order to figure out its past. it was just my nature, i couldn't help it.

i grabbed my skateboard from the tree stump i had rested it on and began to head back to my house. it had been a long day.

as i was passing by a group of boys on my way home, they suddenly called out to me.

"look guys, its sarah 2.0"
"sarahs replacement," i heard one of them scoff.

i glanced in their direction to see them all smirking at me and i immediately just turned my head back towards the road and pushed my foot on the ground to gain some more speed

who the hell was sarah?