~chapter one

"Let kindness be
the language of your heart."
-Alexandra Vasiliu

"Would you like to buy a heart?" Twelve year old Mabel Glen asked the passerbys from her common spot in the market square.

Mabel was known at the Heartseller throughout her town, and she took the title vary seriously, wanting to help as many people as she could find a heart that fit them.

She wore her favorite Heartseller outfit, a white tunic tucked into a long pink skirt, completed with a red hood. Her light brown hair was pulled back into two simple braids, tided with pink ribbon.

But unfortunately today, the people of Easthearth brushed by Mabel without a second glance at her wicker basket of various hearts.

As always, Mabel kept a bright smile spread across her face despite her lack of buyers, sometimes being the Heartseller was the only way her family could make enough money.

"Would you like to buy a heart?" Mabel tried again into the busy crowd, still with a smile. "I have quite a few beauties to offer."

Same result.

Mabel almost let a sigh escape her lips, but she held it in when she noticed a tall man with light blond hair and pale blue eyes looking across the market square with a dejected expression on his face.

It was easy to tell if someone had a broken heart, or even no heart at all, at least for Mabel.
They'd smile at you, but with deep loss and sadness in their eyes.
Their eyes would stare off into the distance as if waiting for something, or someone, that they know will never come.
They'd say everything was fine, but their words would be hallow, empty, and broken.

Mabel always tried to keep her own loss of a heart a secret, and she did a good job of it too.
But if you looked close enough, you'd see the shattered light behind the bright smile.

And now, Mabel could tell this man needed a heart or was heartbroken.

"Sir!" She called out to him, and the man turned to her with a slightly startled expression. "Would you like to buy a heart?"

A small smile flashed across the man's face.
"Do you also happen to repair broken hearts?" He asked and gestured to his chest.

"Oh no! I just sell hearts, sir." Mabel was sad to share.

The smile on the man's face faded. "I see."

Mabel desperately wanted to lift his spirits, and a thought occurred to her just as the man was starting
to leave.
"But if you go down that road, you will find the Heartsmith," Mabel said and pointed.

"Heartsmith?" The man asked thoughtfully. "Thank you, young lady. And my name is Charles. Charles Husher."

"Your welcome, Mr. Charles Husher." Mabel smiled.

She watched as Charles walked away in the direction she'd pointed, with a new hopeful stride in his step.

♡︎♡︎♡︎

How was the first chapter? Are you guys enjoying it? Thanks for reading!
~téa