~chapter two

"May the flowers remind us
why the rain was so necessary."
-XAN OKU

Charles Husher stood in front of a wide building with golden double doors and a large sign labeled Heartsmith.

The extravagant building momentarily gave Charles a sense of anxiety, and he wore an apprehensive expression.

Do it for Annalise, Charles thought and put on a friendly smile. If this Heartsmith can make you love her again, just go see him.

Annalise was Charles's fiancée. A most extraordinary woman he'd fallen in love with.

But as the wedding crept closer, now only ten days away, Charles found his heart loving Annalise less and less.

It had him worried, and Charles finally came to terms with the idea of seeking out someone who could repair his positively shattered heart.

And now, standing in front of the Heartsmith's repair shop, the tiny shards of his heart that could still hope, filled with anticipation.

Charles took a deep breath and pushed open the heavy double doors.

Based on the outside interior, he was expecting an elaborate hall filled with expensive mechanical heart healing mechanisms lined with gold.

But what he saw was much more humble.
Charles looked around a circular room with tall wooden shelves filled to the brim with wrenches, thin rope, steel joint pliers, and other equipment he couldn't identify.
Oak tables were also placed around the room, home to rolls of string, paint brushes, several small healing contraptions, and a pair of aviator goggles.

The room held an unfamiliar yet comforting scent of oil and metal.

Charles spotted an attractive man with tan skin, messy brown hair, and prominent muscle tone, working diligently at one of the oak tables.
He assumed this was the Heartsmith.

"Um, excuse me?" Charles said the doorway, fidgeting nervously at the hem of his suit.

"Huh?" The Heartsmith looked up from the contraption he was tinkering with and pulled off red-tinted aviator goggles.
His face brightened when he saw Charles. "Oh, a costumer!"

Charles stepped farther into the repair shop as the Heartsmith walked up to him.

"Welcome, sir!" Said the Heartsmith with a smile. "My name's Oliver Stone, what can I do for you?"

"A young girl told me you repair hearts?" Charles asked with new found confidence.

"Yup, that's what I do!" Said Oliver. "I'm the Heartsmith. Pleased to meet you."

"Pleased to meet you too." Charles smiled at Oliver's rhyme, wondering if it was purposeful.

"What seemed to be the problem?"

"Well..." Charles placed his hand against his chest, gently pushing it through and grasping his shattered heart.

He held it out to the Heartsmith in his palm, his chest now feeling hallow, and let it speak for its self.

Oliver's expression grew grave and he rubbed his chin. "Oh boy, this one looks pretty damaged."

Charles's spirits sank. "So, you can't repair it?"

The Heartsmith put on a reassuring smile. "I didn't say that! It just might take a while."

"That..." Charles looked down. "Might be a problem."

"Are you planning on getting married?" Oliver asked with a sly smile and nudge.

Charles blushed. "Yes, actually."

Oliver straightened, his cheeks pink. "Oh. Congrats!"

"However," Charles confided. "As the wedding grows nearer I find this heart incapable of loving."

"I can see how that would be a problem," Oliver said and scratched his head, looking thoughtful. "Well, I suggest you leave it here for a while. I can't make any promises but I'll try my best."

Charles was relieved. "Thank you."

He rested the heart in the Heartsmith's hands. "Take good care of it, dear Heartsmith."

"Of course!" Oliver beamed. "I don't know when It'll be ready. Just stop by whenever it's convenient for you."

"I will."

Charles stepped out of the repair shop, leaving his heart with the Heartsmith, and found himself longing for the feeling of loving again.

As he walked through the market square, Charles heard the familiar words of the Heartseller, Mabel Glen.

"Would you like to buy a heart?"

Mabel noticed Charles and waved with a smile.

Charles waved back, grateful for the girl who'd recommended Oliver Stone.

Whatever can I do to thank that man?"

♡︎♡︎♡︎

Hey guys! Did you like the second chapter?
Hope your enjoying the story!
~téa