Chapter Fifteen - Family

Kal had finally gotten up the courage to go visit Tony and Pepper, Steve drove her out to their lake house and she fidgeted in her seat the entire way.

"It's going to be alright Kal, he's your brother and he wants to have a relationship with you" Steve said as they pulled into the driveway bringing the car to a stop.

"Don't leave me Rogers"

"Never"

They were greeted by a very pregnant Pepper who hugged them both affectionately.

"Anything you care to share Pepper?" Steve teased looking down at her belly.

"As a matter of fact there is" Tony said coming down the stairs "We FINALLY set a date for the wedding, you are both coming, no arguments and the rest of the team of course"

Steve and Tony hugged, Kal was glad they were able to put the past behind them.

"Steve, I am glad you're here. I could use your help putting together the crib before this one turns it into some advance AI nanny that I can't operate" Pepper joked gesturing at Tony.

"At your service ma'am"

Steve followed Pepper upstairs leaving Kal and Tony standing in the front room together.

"Do you want to take a walk and talk?" Tony asked gesturing to the path that led around the lake.

"That would be nice" Kal said quietly.

Tony started walking slowly with Kal beside him.

"You know, that is the first time I have heard you speak"

"Talking has never been my strong suit, I've never had many people to talk to" Kal admitted.

"Why don't you tell me about yourself" Tony offered "I've read the Hydra files, but I want to know about you, my sister"

Kal shared her life with Tony as they walked around the quiet lake, she left nothing out finding Tony very easy to talk to and Tony shared stories from his life as well. After their walk Steve and her stayed for dinner where Pepper told several stories at Tony's expense, Kal felt happy for the first time in almost a year she felt actual happiness and it gave her hope.

As they were leaving Tony gave Kal a warm hug.

"I'm very happy that you are my sister, now don't be a stranger"

A few months later baby Morgan was born and Kal was instantly in love with her little niece, spending quite a bit of time at the lake house with Pepper, Tony and Morgan. When she was there she was able to forget her loneliness and enjoy the feeling of family, but back at the compound at night her nightmares still haunted her and she often woke up screaming. Nat and Steve would often be there to comfort her, the others were often on missions trying to restore a sense of peace and order to the galaxy, but the pair always made sure that Kal was never at home alone taking turns joining the team.

Bruce and Tony had constructed a gamma chamber that helped Kal settle the energy from the stones making it easier for her to control her new strength an with some testing they determined that she was also able to absorb new energy easier as well. Nat took this as a sign that Kal should start going on missions as well, but she was not ready uncertain that she really could control her power and not willing to risk injuring her friends in the process of finding out so she stayed behind.

The wedding was fast approaching and everyone was back at the compound for a few weeks to help prepare, even Carol and Thor. Kal worried over Thor who seemed to be letting himself go and drinking quite a bit and he did his best to assure her that everything was fine, though she didn't believe it.