Interlude I

"He pinned me to Appa's saddle!" Sokka had rarely been so angry.

Katara tried for soothing. "Look, calm down, we were able to get away, right?"

"Are you paying attention, he pinned me to Appa's saddle with my own boomerang!"

"Sokka, you didn't get hurt, and you could have." Aang, glanced at Katara, not sure why her brother was so mad about this, he'd been less upset the time he'd been paralyzed and dragged around on that weird tracking beast.

"He pinned me to Appa's saddle, with my boomerang, by my wolftail! I'm gonna cut off that stupid ponytail of his next time I see him! Jerk!" The water tribesman flung himself down and crossed his arms in preparation for an intensive pout - then startled and reached inside his tunic.

"What is it?" His sister leaned forward in confusion.

Sokka pulled out a tightly rolled fabric bundle. "You must be kidding me..."

"About what?" Now Aang was curious too.

"He gave me my arm wraps back." Sokka started unrolling them. "The jerk even washed them." When he had fully unrolled the strips, a small piece of paper fell out.

"Ooh, ooh, a note!" The airbender could be excited about just about anything, it seemed. "What's it say?"

The water tribesman was busy wondering if Zuko dragged a personal scribe around on that boat of his or if princes were just taught to have that good calligraphy. Then he focused on the content.

Water Tribe idiot,

Chang's mother asked that I pass on her gratitude for your part in rescuing her son. Also, Uncle was very disappointed that he did not get to inflict tea and advice on you. He has requested that next time you make sure to be captured by the town guard. He also asked me to thank you for helping bandage my injuries. I washed your arm wraps.

-Prince Zuko.

"Definitely cutting that ponytail off... Definitely."