Interlude III

Zuko stood in his formal robes of office as he was kneeling in his royal funeral robes. He could see his long hair spilling down past his waist while he hoped the short shaggy locks had finally grown out enough to stay in their topknot until this was over. The crowd stood before him in uniform rows of red robes, and it was a jumble of colors from the different nations, mixing and mingling in a festival atmosphere.

He spoke and motioned someone forward while kneeling in silence beside his sister. A fire sage spoke over his father's body as the Avatar walked into the same space, smiling at Zuko and then to the crowd. The young prince felt joy and hope as he saw the nations assembled in peace. The grown prince felt only emptyness as he watched his father consigned to ashes. He knelt before the crowd and felt the flame crown placed in his topknot. He rose as Fire Lord.

Fire Lord Zuko walked to the capitol prison tower, keeping pace with the sedan chair he rode in. He approached a cell that had long held the same man, and looked at the new prisoner. He hardened his heart against the words of his father, and spoke gently to the Avatar. Zuko entered the cell and unchained the monk while he stood before the bars and coldly addressed the former Fire Lord. He asked a question. An offer. A demand. He nodded coldly at the answer as he hung his head in shame. He left the cell to begin his reign.

A/N : If you're confused, just think how poor Zuko feels!