Eleven: Painful Memories

"You excited for Rocky Horror tonight?" Lindsey asked, lingering in Gerard's office so she wouldn't have to go back to her desk and find some work to do.

"Wait, you're coming, too? How did you get invited?" Gerard said in surprise, pausing his reply to a letter and spinning his chair to face her.

"Frank invited me," she simpered, sticking out her tongue at him. "He said Jamia was going to ask me, but our paths never seemed to cross."

'I'm sure that's her excuse,' Gerard chuckled to himself, knowing for a while now that Jamia had a massive crush on Lindsey—she had told Frank all about it, who had then spilled his guts to the blonde man.

"What are you laughin' abo—"

"Nothing!" he insisted, though his neck flushed pink with the little white lie. Lindsey just narrowed her eyes at him, half-heartedly glaring as she plopped into one of the armchairs across from his desk.

"What're you gonna wear tonight?" she asked, playing with a loose string on the end of her tie.

"Probably one of my old Iron Maiden shirts or something," Gerard dismissed, continuing to focus on his work until he heard Lindsey muttering to herself.

"No, no, no, that won't do, you should cosplay like the rest of us—well, I guess Frank's isn't technically cosplay—but you should still come in character, Gee." She was pacing in front of his desk as she thought, the nervous habit something the two best friends shared.

"I'm going as Magenta, so why don't you be Riff Raff? You're already blonde, and you can just wear the clunky suit you wore to junior prom," she suggested, cheekily grinning at him.

"I don't even know if that thing fits anymore, Linds, and why do I gotta be the ugly character?" he grumbled, a playful pout on his thin lips.

"Because you're too shy to be in just your underwear or some tiny shorts in front of strangers," she teased, the blush creeping up his neck reinforcing her point. "I suppose you could be Brad when they first get to the castle, but that's boring."

"Fine, fine. I'll be fuckin' Riff Raff," he reluctantly agreed, chuckling and shaking his head. "Now, let me do some actual work, please."

"Fine, fine, I'll be at my desk if you need me," she teased, grinning as he threw a pen at her and chased her out of his office.

———————

"Lindsey, I look ridiculous," Gerard sighed as he stepped out of his bedroom, the cheap black suit jacket fitting poorly throughout his shoulders, and the once-white shirt yellowed slightly with age.

"But, it's perfect!" Lindsey squealed, flashing him a picture on her phone as evidence. He sighed and shook his head, dramatically flopping onto the couch and bringing his arm over his eyes.

"Correction: I feel ridiculous," he groaned, shifting his arm to peek at Lindsey again. "You really think I look alright? With Frank there, I—"

Lindsey grinned and interrupted him, a knowing look in her eyes as she said, "So, you're finally admitting to your crush? The Gerard Way, lonesome romance author, finally has feelings for someone?"

"Oh, give me a break, Linds; it's not a big deal," he laughed dismissively, sitting up again and adjusting the lapels of his jacket. Mitch came and curled up in his lap, purring softly as Gerard's gentle fingers scratched behind his ears.

"Gee, you haven't even had a crush on anyone since high school," she reminded him, her eyebrows knitting together as she thought for a moment. Her eyes soon lit up in remembrance, pointing at his suit. "In fact, the last time you ever even went on a date was in this very suit."