02 | elisa

0 2

e l i s a

My first day at the university was just as I expected it would be. Disoriented students running here and there, seeking out schedules, dealing with last-minute enlisting documents, and meeting fellow colleagues from the same courses. But as in any other small city, Canis was no different when it was a matter of knowing the crowd. I didn't need much to figure that almost everyone around me was associated with one another. And as presumed, the new girl in town was the center of the attention.

Wherever I looked, curious glances followed my every move. Some were just peeking when I passed, but there were the bold ones too - who didn't turn their heads when I met their eyes and were openly staring back. I had to check my shirt several times for food or coffee stains, just to be sure that there wasn't any evidence left. I didn't want to be remembered as the clumsy one on the first day here. Not that I really cared about what everyone was thinking. I just wanted to start anew, and this beginning was going to be perfect for the girl I was planning to become.

I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't lose my way twice towards my first class. The university wasn't huge, but the hallways can look like a maze if you are unfamiliar with the place. On the way to my third dead end, I decided it was time to ask someone for help. Otherwise, I was going to be late to my very first class here and tempt even bigger attention.

I stopped the first girl that crossed my path. She looked like she was busy trying to get to her class as well so I tried to keep it as short as possible.

"Sorry to bother, but do you know where I can find the Baking and Pastry class. I can't seem to find my way around this place."

Firstly startled at the sudden query, the girl nudged her glasses up on her nose and morphed her confused expression into a genuine smile.

"You are nearly there, just follow me. I take the BAP class as well. Let's hurry, I hear Ms. Freiburg hates tardiness."

She rambled her words while leading me back to the direction I came from. I hugged my books tightly against my chest and tried to keep up with her run.

"I'm Isa, by the way."

I figured it was only polite to introduce myself first as I asked for her help. She didn't stop at my comment, just turned her head to seek my face. Her red bouncy curls danced around her face when she did.

"Isa? As in Isabel - Isabella?"

I smiled back at her question. It was not the first time that someone assumed my name was Isabel. I even had a fake identification with that one. It was convincing and fitted quite well with my nickname.