four.

4 | GRIEF AND PAIN

"HE WON'T COME."

"Yes, he will," I say indignantly, as Kili shakes his head, grinning. "I'll bet you five gold coins." I don't even have five gold coins, so Gandalf had better be right about this. I trust his judgement, but I think that he may have misjudged the hobbit.

Gandalf sends me a knowing look as if he knows what I'm thinking. "He will come."

More dwarves join in, hedging bets in various scales of money. Should I have wagered more? Well, not if I lose.

Glaring up at the sky, I begin to pray to the Valar that Bilbo soon appears. it's often futile to ask them for anything important, so small favours like this will surely work. My mother often used to tell me that I was blessed by the Valar, though a large part of me supposed that that was was incorrect. How could I be blessed by the Valar, such an insignificant peasant girl?

However, for once, my prayers are answered, as Bilbo comes sprinting down the road, looking proud of himself. "I signed it!" He looks extremely excited, despite having run far in his bare feet. Does he not own shoes?

Balin takes the contract, examining it sternly, agreeing that everything is in order. The dwarves and I cheer, thrilled. I'm glad he's here. "Give him a pony," Thorin orders roughly, barely looking back as he continues to walk forward. 

"No, no, no, no, that--that won't be necessary, thank you, but I--I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I-- I--I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once--WAGH!"

Two dwarves beside him launch him onto a pony as he cries out, like as fish out of water. I nudge Gandalf, gesturing to Thorin. "Does he ever smile?"

Thorin doesn't turn around, but answers anyway, his voice full of its usual disdain. "I can hear you."

I don't reply, as a bag of coins soars over my head. Kili rolls his eyes sulkily, before handing over five gold coins. I really should have bet more on this. "Thank you." I tell Kili smugly, kicking his leg from my own horse.

He sighs heavily, glaring. "You cheated."

"No, I didn't." I grin, watching his face crumple in irritation. "You're just a sore loser."

"I'm not a sore loser!"

"She's right, you're a sore loser." Fili agrees, as Kili glares at him angrily. 

"You should be on my side! You're my brother!"

"No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around." 

The dwarves and I are equally confused, though I can't help but to feel like I'm watching a scene from a play; the Chronicles of Bilbo Baggins. The dwarves begin to look around, alert, searching for danger. 

"I forgot my hankerchief." 

I guiltily remember the expensive cloth I may have grabbed yesterday. This is my fault, isn't it?

One of the dwarves passes Bilbo a rag, and he grabs it, looking utterly disgusted.

"You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead."

 At this, Gandalf pushes ahead, next to Thorin, as I fall back, feeling bad about stealing the hankerchief. There's nowhere around to sell it, anyway.

"Here," I offer it to him as I smile kindly, wondering if he'll notice that it's actually his.

"Thank you," he sighs at the cleanliness gratefully, before re-checking, examining the embroidery with horror. "This - this is mine!"