Part 1

"I can't believe this, why would you do this?!"

When Peggy was offered the position of headmistress at a prestigious military academy across the country, she readily accepted. She knew Steve was going to be angry, but she couldn't take being in the city any longer. It wasn't good for them, and worse, it wasn't good for their daughter Natasha.

"Because we need it, Steve! The children need it!"

"We decide what our children need! Not you, not me, us!"

"I've tried talking to you! You never listen!"

There was knocking on their front door, temporarily pausing their argument. Steve winced, already knowing who was on the other side and why. He cast an apologetic look toward his wife, who looked just as sheepish as he did.

He opened the door, revealing his scowling best friend. "Hey, Buck."

"Hey. I was wondering if the kids wanted to go get some ice cream or somethin'."

They hated arguing in front of the kids, but when the shouting matches began, it was sometimes difficult to remember they were in the house. Bucky was a blessing in their lives in that aspect, quickly removing them from the environment until he and Peggy could sort themselves out.

"Children!" Peggy called. "Uncle Bucky's taking you for ice cream!"

Immediately, three sets of feet ran down the hall and into the living room.

"Ice cream!" Wanda squealed, clutching her stuffed lion in her arms.

"Hey, Chipmunks!" Bucky scooped the twins up into his arms, and sent Peter a comforting smile.

"Where's Nat?" Steve asked, eyes still on the doorway.

"She went out the fire escape," Peter said as he put on his coat.

Peggy looked down at her feet, and Steve sighed.

Bucky guessed that was only going to add fuel to the fire, so he offered to take the kids to the park as well if they needed, and asked for them to call when it was quiet. Steve watched them disappear into the elevator, knowing it would resume at any moment.

"Steve!"

"Peggy."

"We need to talk about this!"

"No! I'm not doing this now!"

"When then?" she demanded. "When Nat's been through every school in the state? When not even Tony's lawyers can keep her out of handcuffs anymore? When will you be ready to talk about it?!" He shut the door behind him and leaned against it, silently waiting for her to continue. "I can't be here anymore! I know you want to stay in case..." She could see the tears begin to form in his eyes, and her own followed suit. "It's been twelve years, Darling. We're not going to find her."

"What if she remembers?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "What if she comes looking and we're not here?"

"If she's even," alive, she thinks, though she can't bear to say it aloud.

"Don't think that!"

"It's hard not to!"

"I know." Steve crossed the room and wrapped his arms around her. "But we need to believe she's ok."

"Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm worried about Nat." She paused, waiting to see if he would argue. When all he did was pull back, she continued. "These friends of hers are nothing but trouble. She's already been expelled from eight schools, and arrested twice."