Chapter 1

S M A L L T A L K S
C H A P T E R O N E

She walks down the streets with a heavy heart, the weight of the world brining her down

She walks down the streets with a heavy heart, the weight of the world brining her down. The sun shining down at her but she doesn't care neither notices. Her eyes almost bursting into tears as she walks into a coffee shop that is just word the corner. Inside are a couple of people, though she doesn't pay notice to them. Walking over to the counter she orders a coffee and sits down in her usual place by the window where her eyes look out into the world.

The day is quiet and even when it's eight in the morning, the sun is already making itself known to the world like it wants everyone to see it. Minutes pass before her order is up and when she takes her coffee, she sits back down. Her fingers which are wrapped in the sleeves of her hoodie hold the coffee mug in between her palms and she slowly brings it to her lips and takes a sip. Her eyes never leave the streets outside the window. She doesn't know how long has passed nor does she care.

She has finished her coffee a couple of minutes ago but her eyes never stray from the world outside as slowly it begins to fill with life that has begun out there and people are waking up on this Sunday morning. Lost in her own world she has not noticed how someone sat at her table in front of her until the person clears their throat and her head turns to look at them, only to see a young man, no older than she is sitting there in front of her with an awakes look on his face.

Her eyes look at his as if she is studying him but she doesn't say anything. Noticing how nervous he is, she turns to look outside the window once more though she keeps an eye on him in the corners of her eyes. Neither of them say anything and minutes pass. "I'm sorry for sitting here... it's just that all the other tables are full" He tells her and she knew he was correct. Once the day has begun the coffee shop is filled with people and chatter echoes through the shop all the way to the streets and beyond.

Still, she doesn't look at him as she continues to stare out, as if she had not heard him but she did hear him, only doesn't want to nor does she need to. She's lost in the world of looking outside at the people and the life that is out there. Silence between them forms once again which should make her uncomfortable but it doesn't. Her heart should be beating faster in her chest, yet it isn't and she doesn't know why but doesn't question it nor does she wish to know for her worries are elsewhere.

"Are you feeling all right?" He asks her. She had not noticed how a tear from her eye had escaped and dripped onto the brown wooden table. She shakes her head but she continues to look outside that window as if her life depended on it. She notices that he stands up and walks away and she's left alone once more, always alone. Though, she can only blame herself for that. Without her trying she feels more and more tears roll down her cheeks and land on the table as she goes unnoticed by the world that thrives around her.

Like if she has stopped in time and it is only moving around her while she is stuck with no escape and it does frighten her. The sun shines onto her and when it should be giving comfortable warmth, she does not feel it. She is as cold as she always has been. Feeling a presence sitting by the table her eyes tear from the window and look to see the same young man once more and sits there with a strange look on his face, she doesn't know if he's making fun out of her or pitying her, or perhaps both.